Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice weekend at last, so time to get the 79 spider ready. Changing fuel filters and want to be sure I am doing this correctly. Any tips or tricks I should be aware. I have searched the forum but there is nothing I could come with, seems to be more on the rear filter.
Should I jump start or put it on a trickle charge? I haven't started her up for 6 weeks?
Any thoughts on miracle oil, I am thinking about using it when I fuel up and change the oil?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
cautions!

1) disconnect the battery before working on the front filter! (any fuel system work!)

2) It is spring loaded, when turning the bolt counter-clockwise to remove the bowl from the upper housing one hand on the bowl, when re-installing change the seal, it is a somewhat of a bear to reinstall, make sure everything is aligned, you want to push the bowl up and seat into seal/upper housing then tighten rather than trying to draw the bowl into place using the bolt (it is a long bolt) test for leaks with the starter soleniod and coil disconnected before restarting

3) I would use a trickle charger, start the car before changing the filter after hibernation, then do the maintainence, such as changing filters, etc. introduce less variables!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Assuming the '79 has the same setup as my '77, much easier to remove the fuel lines and then remove the entire fuel filter setup and work with it on a bench. Rather straightforward swap. New filter should come with new o-rings.

If it's a Spica car then MMO is often recommended here to help lube the internals of the Spica system.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Assuming the '79 has the same setup as my '77, much easier to remove the fuel lines and then remove the entire fuel filter setup and work with it on a bench. Rather straightforward swap. New filter should come with new o-rings.

If it's a Spica car then MMO is often recommended here to help lube the internals of the Spica system.
It is easier to make mistakes that way in my experience, you have to disconnect fuel lines, then reconnect, so you're creating more varibles, furthermore when changing it in the car, the housing is a fixed postion, on the bench you need a vise, then you have to be careful as it is aluminum, also you can't easily test your work on the bench, it has to go back in the car and be reconnected. Don't cross thread the bolt and bowl, one other trick is to spin the bowl on the bolt up to the housing. make sure you clean the bowl inside and out. This is the "book" method, also replace replace the upper outer sealing gasket (not an "O" ring) the book shows a copper ring that goes on the bolt inside the top housing on top of the filter and a gasket on the bottom of the filter itself, enjoy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts