Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope that someone can help.
93 164L has come up with a loud thump unsprung noise from the front end, mostly on turns. Checked struts and mounts, checked lower control arms and bushings, checked tie rods and caliper mounts. It is cold in Chicago and I'm running out of patience. If someone has some insight I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks.

Gian.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I am no expert, but when our 164L started doing that it was the tie rod ends. When those were replaced, the noise went away and the handling was much improved, too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Lance.
The car has 90k and I've had this one for about 6 months.
I checked inner and outer tie rods and they are tight. Steering is nice and tight.
My old 91 had somewhat the same noise and was not able to find it before it was hit and totaled.
Gian.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
In my high mileage 91 164S, I found that when the large diameter plastic race bearings in the front struts were replaced, the sound went away. I think those bearings were grabbing and releasing, making the noise. You could feel the tire grab, release, and jump when someone turned the steering wheel at idle. I would imagine that the colder the bearings are, the worse it would get. Upon being disassembled, they were very hard to turn, with just a little dry hard grease, and a great deal of dirt/grit in the races.

Replace those, they are inexpensive, and I think your problem will go away, provided there aren't any other component failures.

·
Premium Member
27,300 Posts
Check for failing lollipop rubber bushings for sway bar on lower suspension arms.

Also check inner and outer axle rubber boots for failure and bad CV joints.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help from evryone.
Enjoy reading the posts from some of you.
Thanks again.

Gian.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To all alfistas, found the noise with my 164. found the sway bar rust cracked half way under the drivers side frame mount bushing. Replaces the sway bar and the noise is gone.
Thought that it would be good info.
Thanks again.

Gian.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Another reason for not driving the cars on roads with salt? Never heard of a sway bar rusting and cracking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts