Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my '74 at least to the point that it can run drive and stop and it is fighting me all the way. Friday I tried to install the 2 pc. driveshaft. I have replaced the center bearing support and one u joint. When I go to put the bearing support over the studs in the trans tunnel is is still about 1/2" away from the giubo. The giubo is also new. I found an extra front driveshaft in my parts pile, but it appears to be the exact same length. The giubo is the same thickness as the old, and the center support bearing is installed the same way as the old (and others I have seen) and is fully seated. I can push the shaft forward and make it reach the giubo, but then the center bearing is stretching the rubber support ring out the front of the housing.

I have noticed that both the old support bearing and the extra used one I have both have the rubber support ring broken. Am I over looking something?

·
Premium Member
14,035 Posts
Could the old center support have been reversed and you copied it? I don't have a picture to show the correct orientation, perhaps someone else does.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm maybe. That is a thought that crossed my mind, but I looked at a few used ones for sale on ebay and they look the same. I have mine installed like this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Centerline. I'm headed to the shop I'll get some pictures of my situation in a little bit and post them.

Edit:

Here are some pictures of my car's driveshaft. First pic is what I am using with the new support bearing and giubo. second pic shows the other shaft I have with what looks like original parts and how far forward the bearing is compared to the housing. It is torn and separated. This pic is also using the original giubo. last pic is my the same shaft as on the floor and the giant space I have between the giubo and driveshaft when the center support is mounted on the studs.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think you need to have a look over your motor mounts in case something is too far forward by mistake, and also the positioning of the rear tranny mount bushing. Although it's not as stiff as the motor mounts, if the tranny bush is not in the right orientation (ie where the bolt hole is relative to the vertical center of the loop, if you will) it can push or pull the engine/tranny package forward or backward.
Like I wrote above, no good solution from my end, whenever I get my motor out the next time I need to look into the same problem again and find something better than what I did last time. Back then I was convinced my motor mounts were the primary cause, but I couldn't identify any significant difference in key dimensions of the mounts themselves that I was installing, compared to what I was taking off, apart from the extra height added by the Spruell alu cups.
/Neil

·
Premium Member
14,035 Posts
Do you think that these alignment issues might be fairly common and are noticed with the heavy duty mounts because they are less forgiving? I think that is the case regarding up/down alignment of the front driveshaft and that Alfa went to softer tranny mounts to make them more tolerant of minor misalignment.

·
Registered
558 Posts
From my point of view, Ed, yes - the softest bit of rubber (be it motor mounts, rear tranny mount, giubo, or driveshaft center support) gets pulled this way or that to compensate for misalignments. So many of us want to use stiffer motor mounts now, and I have no idea if there are variations in key dimensions between different versions out there or not, nor whether Alfa changed any dimensions in motor mounts over the years.
If I want to be facetious, maybe Alfa changed the rear tranny mount design so that it would degrade in the same time frame as the motor mounts so that the entire lump all got lower without changing attitude... :laugh:
/Neil

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just had a bit of a light bulb episode, as the Catalogo rapido might be useful in this seeing as it crosses different models.

Here we go, on Tavola 01 around the motor block, it lists two different pairs of mounts
105.02.01.080.01 (right) and 105.14.01.081.03 (left)
and
105.57.01.080.00 (right) and 105.57.01.081.01 (left).

The first set is listed for Giulia sedans, GTs and 1300 Spider Juniors.
The second set is listed for Spider Junior 1.3, 1.6, Spider Veloce 1750 and 2000.

Ah ha...

A check into the euro parts catalog for 2000 (from 72) also shows spider/gt differences, with the same numbers as above.
I haven't checked the US numbers as I know the Spica intake side mount was different to clear the pump. (As far as that is concerned, the way extra sheet metal is put between block and mount to support the spica pump, also will change somewhat where the motor is relative to the car.)

I guess the question is in what way the GT/Sedan mounts are different from the Spider mounts ?
/Neil

Addition: It wouldn't appear to be any difference in the main crossmember shape, as I only find one number for the main crossmember in the 2000 (72) catalog... Logically, it must be a dimensional difference, then ? If so, then maybe all the aftermarket mounts we're using these days are spider-sized mounts ? Speculation reigns supreme.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought I would update this thread with what I did.

Eedneco, sounds like a very plausible explanation. It seems a lot of Alfa parts that supposedly fit all 105 cars are actually repros of Spider parts.

I took the spring out and placed it on the other side of the support. It fits perfect now. I know this isn't correct, but there is enough straight shaft left before the taper to let the support bearing sit on it with it reversed. The spring is only there to take up the slack of from the threads to the taper to the support bearing, so whether it is in front of the support or after shouldn't matter.

In any event even if it is technically incorrect, it is a heck of a lot better than the technically correct way.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks Revhead... When I read your reply about the spring, I remembered that 1750GT was into this area starting at this post, http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/5998417-post787.html

And there were some dimensions involved including discussions of a spacer, but the differences in length were much less than the 12mm / 0.5" we're talking about here.

In my case it's been too long so I really can't remember exactly how it came apart and went together. Your point about the spring position might be part of the solution, regardless of the motor mount part number differences I noted above.

I will add also that ~10 years ago when I was into this, I also took the center console out of the way, and measured the centering of the tranny tower in the tunnel hole, roughly. What I found did agree with the conclusion of the motor mounts pulling the motor too far forward. At least I had wanted to check that to see whether it confirmed or countered the theory.

Hopefully I can find something more when I'm able to get into this area again...

Dunno...
/Neil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts