Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard to replace? The pitfalls. Mechanically competent but only have ramps to work with. Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You will need a good jack and jack stands (preferable large ones to you can lift the back of the car up pretty high) or the job would be almost impossible, and not very safe. I havent replaced a front doughnut, but I have done the center support bearing before, and the only really hard parts were taking the exhaust apart, and getting the bolts back in the transmission crossmember when I was putting it back together.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You will want the whole car up in the air - you could use ramps at the front and jack the rear to put it on stands. Later you will want to (after undoing things!) lift the dedion with a jack to drop the nose of the transaxle to allow you to get the tailshaft out. It isn't a huge job, but allow a bit of time to remove the exhaust, and disconnect the gearbox linkage as well as the time to r&r the tailshaft itself.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Also, it's a good excuse to check and replace transaxle and motor / engine mounts, as wear on all of these contribute to premature donut failure, even if they didn't cause this one, you want to give the new one the best chance of a long life. Plus its a good time to do it when the shaft is out cos you are most of the way there, particularly regarding the transaxle mounts

·
Premium Member
14,523 Posts
The front donut is not a big job for someone who has done it before. I have done a couple of them but when my Son's (now my) Verde needed one I payed a mechanic in Boulder CO to do the job. He inspected the other donuts and they were good. He also replaced the center muffler. The total bill was about $500 - maybe a bit less. Front donuts fail more quickly than anything else in the driveline. It is often fine to just replace it and nothing else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts