Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving today and noticed every once in a while that the car would "sink" and shake into the front left driver side. Checked it out just now and it seems that the suspension is broken. I think the strut has broken through, and so every time I hit something the top of it slams into the chasis. :( :( :(

Three questions:
Can I drive with this? Is it an urgent fix? How much is it going to run me?

imga0033.jpg

imga0034.jpg

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Checked it out just now and it seems that the suspension is broken..... Can I drive with this?
Umm..... NO. At least not if you wanna avoid something utterly catestrophic, up to and including killing yourself and or someone else.

Is it an urgent fix?
YES.

How much is it going to run me?
Depends on specifics + parts + labor.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Eric's correct. From your picture, you have a 105 / 115 series Alfa, and these cars never had struts. The "MacPhereson Strut" was invented by a Ford of England engineer as a cost reduction. Some manufacturers, notably BMW, make these struts work very well in spite of their compromised geometry. others (Honda) use the combined spring/shock absorber for the cost benefits but actually combine with a true double wishbone front suspension.

Nevertheless, you need to look carefully at your car. In addition to the pictured upper mount, the lower end of the shock is attached by one of the bolts that tie the two lower a-Arm halves together. As a best case scenario, you might have a worn rubber bushing.

I was driving today and noticed every once in a while that the car would "sink" and shake into the front left driver side. Checked it out just now and it seems that the suspension is broken. I think the strut has broken through, and so every time I hit something the top of it slams into the chasis. :( :( :(

Three questions:
Can I drive with this? Is it an urgent fix? How much is it going to run me?

View attachment 137173

View attachment 137174

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I pulled up the first generic auto suspension schematic I could find, and it listed the top part of the suspension as "strut". But I just looked it up, so I get it now. Is what's broken the upper shock mount?

I'll have to go back to check the bottom. I did a quick peek and nothing seemed different from the other wheel, except one part did not look "screwed in" as much.

So should I just go out to a local welders shop to get this fixed?

·
Administrator
16,391 Posts
So should I just go out to a local welders shop to get this fixed?
That is what I would suggest. The shock absorber will need to be removed so the welder can fix the mount without the shock pushing it apart (plus there is a rubber bushing that would not survive the heat of welding). You can remove the shock aborber (saving the broken piece so the welder can weld it back together) and drive carefully (but only to the welding shop). That might save you a little bit of money because the welding shop won't have to charge you the time/labor of removing the shock. see below

First apply some rust penetrant (I like PB Blaster) to the doubled nuts at the top of the shock (only a few drops are needed - no need to soak everything with oil and have the welding cause it to catch on fire...). Allow that so soak in for at least a few hours (over night might be better) then re-apply before you attempt to remove those nuts. The bottom mount is likely a bolt & nut. A few drops of rust penetrant there is also advised.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Am I supposed to remove everything that the red arrows point to? I have no garage and only a set of metric wrenches. It'd be good experience, but I want to make sure I can get the job done.

Otherwise, I'll look into the shops around here and see what they say.

Grazie ancora!

·
Administrator
16,391 Posts
When (if?) you remove the top nuts* the upper piece labeled 'this part' will come off. (* I think they are double nuts - don't try to remove them together - they are locked against each other - loosen/remove the top nut then the second nut.) The lower piece labeled 'this part' will remain attached to the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts