Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share a few pic's of my recent 4x6" front door speaker upgrade with you all. I also upgraded the rear 5 1/4"s but did not take any shots as they were simply a "drop in".

The most painful part was hole sawing into my virgin door panels. It was necessary due to the height of the new tweeter and limited space behind magnet in door. I think it turned out pretty well, although I plan on making a nice trim ring soon.

Old speaker (it has seen better days)

New clips (make sure to have a few of these on hand)

New speaker

Vapor barrier sealed

Finding center

The painful part :(

Sealed back side of speaker

Viola, final product

Another close up

I also installed a new Alpine head unit. Overall I'm pretty happy with the sound improvement, however it does lack bass.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Give your polks a few hundred hours of break in time and your bass will become more apparent. you should always use a sub as the speaker sizes and general lack of cabinet space in cars will always be lacking with out boxes ports etc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
:( I hope you have spare door trims.

I would not cut the door trims for tweeters, as it basically points to the seat - so it will be absorbed anyways. For high frequencies you need a more direct path than low freq.
I played around with speaker placement and ended up putting tweeters on the dash directed up on the front windscreen.
The default size in front doors can't reproduce any (mid)bass at all, as they are too small. Also the rear parcel can accept only ~13cm (from memory, without cutting), so it also can't reproduce any real audible low frequencies. So the only way to get bass is a separate sub-woofer.

This is how my tweeter is placed (no cutting required, just some double-sided adhesive tape):

·
Registered
122 Posts
Uhh, call me crazy, but what's wrong with the stock tweeter placement? I can understand the door speaker placement being sorta sub-optimal being inches away from the side of the seat but the factory tweeter placement seems pretty good.

(note - I haven't upgraded my speakers yet so I may be missing something here)

·
Registered
172 Posts
i agree todds the stock tweeter placement in the verde is at good earshot.

Enjoy your polks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kept the factory tweeter in the door active. With the added tweeter below, the stage is actually pretty good. I do plan on adding some bass at some point. Either a free air 8" under first aid kit cover in hat tray, or bazooka tube in trunk.

·
Registered
490 Posts
it was painful (not for me, but the car), but I managed to shoe horn 6 3/4" speakers in the doors of mine without cutting anything whatsoever. I believe I even used two of the factory mounting points. lots of padding and foam tape was used to seal the driver as well, and it all still fit. Tweeter received a better crossover and remained in the factory location

for my rear shelf, I just decided to suck it up and saw in 6X9" 3-way drivers.

trunk received a very compact (and lightweight) Kenwood sub. I soldered a molex type connector on its connections, so its easy to swap in and out as I use it in more than one car.

I love originality, but love a good stereo more. Im a real music listener, so its important for me...others maybe not.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Uhh, call me crazy, but what's wrong with the stock tweeter placement? I can understand the door speaker placement being sorta sub-optimal being inches away from the side of the seat but the factory tweeter placement seems pretty good.

(note - I haven't upgraded my speakers yet so I may be missing something here)
Not all 75's had them (at least mine did not, maybe all Milano's did, don't know).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts