Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I replaced my front crankshaft pulley seal last year and yesterday, it started to leak again!:eek:

Something wasn't right. So I removed the pulley to see if I could figure out why.

Didn't take too long to see why. The pulley shaft has a groove in it where the seal sits and so the seal couldn't do it's job and started to leak.

IMG_8158.jpg

I decided to sleeve the shaft. I found that both SKF and DMR make a perfect sleeve for the shaft. Part number is the same for both 99139.

IMG_8161.jpg

Comes with the sleeve and a cap to tap the sleeve onto the shaft.

IMG_8162.jpg

Installation was easy. Start by making a single cut on the lip to the groove on the sleeve, so that after, you can remove the lip.

IMG_8164.jpg

Tap sleeve onto shaft using cap.

IMG_8165.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Remove lip.

IMG_8167.jpg

Voila! Nice surface for the seal to do it's job.

IMG_8169.jpg

$25 and 15 minutes to add the sleeve hopefully will save me from changing that seal again for a long time.:D

Vin

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
I use these often and usually leave the lip in place. If the sleeve ever goes bad, the lip aids in removal. I have also used Loctite Red sometimes before installing the sleeve. Then it's really on there! The sleeve is much harder than the iron surface of the pulleys, and this is the best way to save seal grooved pulleys. It will NOT save those cracked at the keyway. Those are best trashed. The pictured pulley was degreed, but the lip left in place on a race engine build.

From my experience.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
I was not familiar with that brand. I have used Speedisleeve from Chicago Rawhide Co. They are the ones that we use at work and are stocked by the local bearing distributor.

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts
Do you think it would help preserve one of those that are more prone to cracking?
NO. These things are way too thin to provide any structural support.

Like Gordon I just leave the lip in place. Not sure I thought ahead about removal when deciding to do that - I just figured that it wasn't in the way, and that I might risk damaging the sleeve by tearing the lip off.

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
Jay is right, a customer sleeved a cracked one. Installed and torqued. It ran crooked, so he brought it to me. Removing the pulley, the sleeve hid the crack. At first I couldn't figure out what he had done ... until I noticed the LOOSE sleeve! Torquing the nut had stretched the sleeve over the expanding crack.
I have sleeved aluminum pulleys. I'm told hard anodizing will prevent seal wear, and I have one that I have not tried. However, an aluminum pulley with a sleeve, and no anodizing, only wears very slightly and slowly from the belt.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Those sleeves really do the job. I used one for my other car with same problem, and worked perfectly. man, thank goodness for these, as alternative was to yank the crankshaft! (so far, no problem with this on our alfa...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts