Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm setting up my 2000GTV suspension im little stuck how to go about measuring castor specifically than angle of hub/upright with the wheel on and car loaded up on the floor (cant see hub/upright through the wheel). Is there a specific tool required and is there a particular order it must be done?

ps anyone recommend setting other than what's in the manual for a daily road car?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,090 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
I had my Berlina done by a guy who knew what he was doing over a year ago and the tires are wearing perfect. I redid the suspension on my GTV and to get it in the ball park I checked the Berlina (which I know is correct) by letting the lower ball joints sit on a 4x4 and a 2x4 which is very close to the ride height and then took a square with the car on a level surface and noted how much of a gap there was with the square on the floor and the vertical on the front of the brake caliper. The gap at the top of the caliper was about 3mm. I used that to set the GTV castor. The car turns in with the right amount of effort and the tires are wearing fine. In any case it would be enough to get the car to a front end shop. I got one of those track/home liner upers and the toe in part works great, the camber works great, but the castor without the pads to turn the wheels on is an exercise in futility. The pads cost more than the device itself.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
There is a cheaper way to get turning pads. I bought some "roofing flashing" (thin sheet steel) from Home Depot. Put two layers under each front wheel, with a little oil between the layers, and the tires turn with no resistance.

... I got one of those track/home liner uppers and the toe in part works great, the camber works great, but the castor without the pads to turn the wheels on is an exercise in futility. The pads cost more than the device itself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify I have wheel brackets and measuring devices already with turning plates.

The problem is with the car loaded up with fuel and driver i can't turn the wheels 20 degrees without wheel alignment tools hitting wheel arch.(the wheel itself clears the arch) I can't see angle of the hub/kingpin inclination or castor. Everything else is done alignment wise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
general alignment dimensions for street/track build

Maybe this is a good thread to ask if anyone has any general measurements/dimensional recommendations for how to setup the alignment on a GTV for a street track build? I have just finished installing the Alfaholics Fast Road Kit II and basically starting from a setup that is totally out of alignment. I plan on having a shop do the work and i know they have one of those fancy alignment rigs, just wondering if there is any guidance i can give them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most people will say what castor is in theory but nobody will expand on how to measure castor on these particular cars so i i made up my own method/tools... Partly because my stuff is mainly for single seater race cars where access to hub and all around the wheel is easy.

Unfortunately the garage is too small to take any meaningful pictures but im happy to explain how to do it if you like?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Most people will say what castor is in theory but nobody will expand on how to measure castor on these particular cars so i i made up my own method/tools... Partly because my stuff is mainly for single seater race cars where access to hub and all around the wheel is easy.

Unfortunately the garage is too small to take any meaningful pictures but im happy to explain how to do it if you like?

Yes please. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts