Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all

My front brake calliper is a bit sticky.. I've just replaced the seals on the master cylinder and have still to replace the fluid.. I am also replacing the rubber hoses for stainless braided. If I remove the front calliper pop the pistons out and give them a quick clean may be fit new seals? is this likely to fix the problem?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Hose is probably the culprit! They let fluid in, but no out.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Could be a hose although all of the sticky calipers I've worked on had corrosion on the pistons where they emerge from the cylinder. While you have the system opened, yes, clean the pistons and cylinders, replace the seals, and reassemble using caliper lube to prevent/delay corrosion.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it best to split the calliper? or just pop the pistons out?

Could be a hose although all of the sticky calipers I've worked on had corrosion on the pistons where they emerge from the cylinder. While you have the system opened, yes, clean the pistons and cylinders, replace the seals, and reassemble using caliper lube to prevent/delay corrosion.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
There is a fairly recent thread (somewhere, I can't find it at the moment) that addresses the age-old advice against splitting calipers and goes a long way toward refuting it. However, I am with garwood1 on this unless you have the seals on hand to replace the old ones. I typically use compressed air to push the pistons out. There are several threads that describe the process. Use care and caution.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I would prefer no to split the callipers....

There is a fairly recent thread (somewhere, I can't find it at the moment) that addresses the age-old advice against splitting calipers and goes a long way toward refuting it. However, I am with garwood1 on this unless you have the seals on hand to replace the old ones. I typically use compressed air to push the pistons out. There are several threads that describe the process. Use care and caution.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I never hesitate to split a caliper if needed to make the job easier and if I have the proper seals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts