Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been having this ongoing problem with the right front brake. It’s constantly dragging. I rebuilt the calipers and replaced the pads but it’s still doing it. Someone suggested it’s the flex hose so I guess that’s my next step. Centerline is out of stock (no surprise there) Any tips on where to get a pair or any other ideas? Other than the ABS module I’m fresh out of them and it’s starting to make me mad ;-)

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Brake master. Use Castrol Synthetic (use to be called GTLMA) for the fluid or ATE GOLD or PENTOSIN. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
Use a temp probe to check the left rear wheel temperature as well as the right front after a drive. I had this problem of those two wheels being hotter than the left front and right rear, evidently because that brake circuit was not working right. I assumed that this circuit in the master cylinder was allowing those particular brakes to slowly apply themselves, as has been known to happen with the 164, usually requiring a master change, or at least replacing old water contaminated brake fluid (which expands and applies all the brakes in hot stop and go driving on a hot day). Happened to my 91S two times in the past.

Anyway, I flushed the brake fluid with new ATE Gold, operating the brake pedal a few times to clear what I suspected was debris stuck in that circuit seal in the master. Has worked, and now no temperature differences right to left, front and rear. Happy about that.

So, check all of the wheel temps. It's a first try anyway, but you may indeed end up getting a new master if flushing the old fluid out and using something such as the ATE Gold first doesn't fix anything.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe not the same symptoms this occurs right from a stone cold start when I back out of the driveway. After I take my foot off the brake the right front dosen't release. It will eventually and I can drive all day so long as I don't use the brakes but as soon as I do same thing again. It will also apply on it's own when I turn the wheel sharply.

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Sounds like hose ...

Pete

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
Agree with Pete, while hoses can look perfect on the outside, the inner delaminates and forms a one way flap valve, so the hydraulic pressure of your foot will force fluid through, but it cannot return. An easy diagnostic is to apply pressure while it's on an axle stand with the wheel off, then simply crack the bleed nipple. If the fluid squirts out while no one is standing on the brakes, that wheel is retaining pressure = the hose. Always replace hoses in pairs and it just makes sense to do the rear one while you are there and the braking system is 'open'

If both front wheels lock simultaneously then I'd suspect the master cylinder - I had this with my GT Junior, fluid bled through clean, but upon stripping it was a mess of gungy rusty syrup with a tiny path for clean fluid.... strip, clean sleeve in stainless and a full rebuild with new washers.

My local brake shop makes up hydraulic flexibles for me

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would suggest to change the hose. Had the same happen on my Lancia Thema (right front only), just reversing slowly down a small slope, braking to a stop and it would stay there for a few seconds, until it slowly began rolling again. Fortunately someone told me, that he had experienced the same thing and replaced a lot, until he got to the hose, which fixed it. So I replaced the hose and it fixed the problem :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I had exactly the same problem several years ago, and it turned out to be the front brake hose(s). Got my replacements from DiFatta Brothers - I realize they are in the process of going out of business but parts man Ed over there had said it would take several months, so perhaps he still has some stock and could sell you hoses.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone I've found a few online (eBay and Vicks) if that doesn't work I'm sure the local hydraulics shop can make me a pair.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick update: I bought a pair of hoses on Partsgeek.com and they didn’t turn out to be technically correct (one end was male) but I was able to use them by getting a couple of unions at NAPA. So anyway that fixed the problem, both of the old hoses were completely plugged up.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
One of the issues of 164s being unique is that there is a lot of bad/incorrect information out there parts wise. I once needed a set of brake hoses to be made up three times to get the correct lengths/fittings.

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
Well done Paul !!

Blocked hoses that look 100% from the outside happen rather frequently. I do all the flexibles as a routine when rebuilding Giulietta brakes or any other car for that matter

Flushing the system every 2 to 4 years isn't a bad plan either, I usually begin to bleed from the farthest wheel and work back to the nearest to the MC, pump till the reservoir is almost empty then fill with fresh fluid & just remember to keep topping the reservoir up as you purge each corner. A fluid flush will rid your system of most of the contaminants and keep things happy for the next 2 to 4 years.

Of course a full flush should be done when any major brake work is undertaken

Ciao
Greig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts