Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm trying to remove the right front brake disc but I'm stuck at the last bit where you unscrew the two screws holding the disc to the wheel hub. I can't get enough traction on those screws. I've got some Kroil on it overnight and will try again tomorrow.

Anything obvious I'm missing to loosen them up?

I'm wondering why those would even be screws - seems Alfa would've used an allen type nut or anything other than a screw.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,477 Posts
Impact wrench usually takes them right off.

They're not very critical screws. Basically they're just there to hold the disc to the hub until the lug nuts are tightened. So if you bugger them up and have to drill them out or something don't panic.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hi All,

I'm trying to remove the right front brake disc but I'm stuck at the last bit where you unscrew the two screws holding the disc to the wheel hub. I can't get enough traction on those screws. I've got some Kroil on it overnight and will try again tomorrow.

Anything obvious I'm missing to loosen them up?

I'm wondering why those would even be screws - seems Alfa would've used an allen type nut or anything other than a screw.

use an impact driver like this ( rent one somewhere or buy one at sears or something) IMPACT DRIVER ID67 | Matco Tools and make sure the screw driver bit is the large one. also if you have never used one there are two tricks....

1) they are spring loaded ... so you stick it in the screw and turn it as if to loosen it and you will feel it cycle in that direction and stop . then before you hit it, preload it a bit with your hand as if to loosen it then whack the bejesus out of it with a BIG hammer... ( that's trick 2... big hammer ) hit HARD with a BIG hammer ... that's important to making the tool work. they work brilliantly.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
replace the Phillips screws with allen counter sunk screws when done. and use anti seize on the threads and hub mounting face( the latter will help resist rust holding the disk to the hub )

·
Registered
820 Posts
replace the Phillips screws with allen counter sunk screws when done. and use anti seize on the threads and hub mounting face( the latter will help resist rust holding the disk to the hub )
on paper that sounds like a good idea right up until you have to drill one out. as observed above they are non critical and zero load and can be grade 0 . if you feel compelled to replace them , use a cad plated machine screw with some never seize . at least that way you don't need a diamond drill to remove them some day. I never bothered to put them back at all.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll be getting an impact driver as Tom and stevsxm advised ( didn't know they existed, glad I asked!) and let you know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts