Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it an 8mm? Will a 6 point socket fit, or can I use a 12 point box wrench? It looks like there's very little space around the screw to accomodate a socket but I am afraid a 12 point wrench may strip it. What should I use? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I would say a 6 point socket will fit if it's thim enough to go all way down.
It's always a good idea to give the of the screw a few gemle taps with a hammer. If you're still afraid to to round the points give the screws some penetrating oil (or cola).
If you round the points anyway, find a tool that can screw out a wregged bleed nible.
(Eh, in Danish they are called male pig dick)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I thought it was a 9mm but it's been a while since I did Spider brakes. My Mercedes SL is a 9 and I usually use 12 pt offset box end wrenches for most of the bleed screws.

·
Administrator
16,998 Posts
A six point socket is less likely to round over the flats. A few drops of penetrating oil each day for 2-3 days might help. (Kroil or PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench - not WD-40)

And the threads are normal right hand threads - lefty loosey.

When you're done remember there is no need to tighten the bleeder that tight. A thin smear of anti-seize on the bleeder's threads will also help the next time it needs to be loosened.

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Here we go again with the old wives tales
A few drops of penetrating oil each day for 2-3 days might help. (Kroil or PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench - not WD-40)
WD-40 and PB Blaster are similar in performance and way behind the others.

A study done by Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue looked at different penetrating oils to see which one did the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt once treated. If the study was scientifically accurate, it turns out a home brew works best!
Here's the summary of the test results:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

·
Administrator
16,998 Posts
Here we go again with the old wives tales...
I claim no scientific background. (I admit to being an old husband but I will not say anything about my wife's age.)

I have tried all the items on that list. IME (see dislcaimer above), they all work better than nothing - except WD-40 which seemed about the same as nothing). I did not experience a big difference between the others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts