Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm calling the body part that runs right to left under the front bumper the "Apron". PO really messed mine up. Rather than straightening was thinking of replacing.
Looking at it, I see some bolts and don't have a fear of cutting and splicing the center support but am wondering how it attaches to the front of the fender, in the seam at the wheel well.
Anyone had theirs off? It would be a ***** to start and find the seam is "spot welded" and then be stuck!!
Would appreciate any guidance from those "who've gone where I have not gone before"
Happy New Year
Thanks
Paul
89 Graduate

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Most people call it a spoiler. I had one on my black 88 Veloce and it needed body work. it was steel and appeared to be welded onto the front body work. I now have a red Quad and it has valances front and rear, and on both sides. These valances are moulded plastic and are all bolted and screwed on.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Paul,

Both my Veloce and Quad was and is 1988 models. I think all Quads have the same moulded plastic valances. I never repaired the metal spoiler on my black 88 Veloce. The car was ruined by flooding in 2010. But I did investigate replacing the spoiler with a good used one. Due to the complications of removing and replacing the welded on steel spoiler, I had decided to do conventional body work on it to effect a repair, rather than do all the cutting and welding necessary to replace it. I did locate a good used spoiler which the owner was willing to remove and ship to me, but the cost was prohitive. Just for what it is worth.

Robert

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Front Central Spoiler

I'm calling the body part that runs right to left under the front bumper the "Apron". PO really messed mine up. Rather than straightening was thinking of replacing.
Looking at it, I see some bolts and don't have a fear of cutting and splicing the center support but am wondering how it attaches to the front of the fender, in the seam at the wheel well.
Anyone had theirs off? It would be a ***** to start and find the seam is "spot welded" and then be stuck!!
Would appreciate any guidance from those "who've gone where I have not gone before"
Happy New Year
Thanks
Paul
89 Graduate
Hi Paul,

I'm guessing that what you are referring to as the "Apron" on your '89 Graduate is what the shop manual calls the "Front Spoiler". According to the Body section of the factory manual, this assembly consists of 2 "side" pieces and a "central" piece, all of which are welded to the framework of the chassis (and each other).

Section 49 in the shop manual shows where the weld seams are located, and indicates that these pieces can be removed by cutting along those same weld joints, using an air saw or chisel.

Here are a couple of scans from my manual. I apologize for the fact that these pictures are not very clear, but the little bump lines (mmmmm) in the first view show where the welds get applied (by the factory), and the zig-zag lines in the second view indicate where to cut to remove the central section of the front spoiler. The side sections are extracted in a similar manner.

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Again Robert,
Interesting that even in the same year, different models would have significantly different materials for the same part! Do they look the same or is the Quad fancier?
Paul

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ed,
Why didn't I think to read the manual!!!???
Isn't that the last thing we're supposed to do, (after all else fails)?? LOL
Guess I'll have to break the news the my handy-dandy, Harbor Freight angle grinder, that she'll have to wait for another opportunity!!
Guess I best harvest the donor before I cut on the baby!!!
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts