Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use my 2000 GTV without front and rear bumpers and would like to use the 12 mm bumper main holes to install one front and one rear sport tow hooks. Somebody here with sourcing tow hooks with 12 mm thread?. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Jegs.com has towing eye bolts as does probably all race/ performance suppliers.
Likely SAE threads though
Cheers, Jon

·
Administrator
12,754 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
the strap is fitted to one of the bolts of the stabilizer bar. Its only fixed to the eye in the bumperhole with a tie wrap. When you put in the towing hook and put tension on it the tiewrap breaks, and force is on the stiff fixing point lower down. At the back Alfaholics als have a neat solution, buit htere is strenhthening of the bodywork behind that.

Either way: make sure the bodywork has sufficient stiffening at places where you put a towing eye. If it is not for towing purposes, do not put it on.

I have seen too many cars that were (unintentionally) towed on these kind of hooks where severe damage to the bodywork was the result.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ok, clear. imho its no asset for the looks of the car. but hey its not mine. You probably can get them at any hardware store. The ones overhere even have RVS items.

·
Administrator
12,754 Posts
Thanks Veep. Now understand and would be wise for the PO to add some strength, or find another way to hide the bumper holes.
Pete

·
Registered
107 Posts
the strap is fitted to one of the bolts of the stabilizer bar. Its only fixed to the eye in the bumperhole with a tie wrap. When you put in the towing hook and put tension on it the tiewrap breaks, and force is on the stiff fixing point lower down. At the back Alfaholics als have a neat solution, buit htere is strenhthening of the bodywork behind that.
Hey Mr Veep - do you use the Stabilizer bar mount for your strap as per above mentioned AH arrangement? You mean one of the two (probably M8? M7?) bolts which fix the metal strap holding the stabilizer bar bush to transverse chassis member, but also the front of the sump guard? The bolt seems on the small side to me.... The modern standard tow eye seems to be M14.... My sump guard has a tow point which Ive used many times but this shares the load over 4 bolts rather than only one. This is of course too low for pulling out of sand traps. Did you get a longer bolt of just sandwich the strap in?

==> Ive heard of using the Stab. bar point elsewhere and see the convenience, incl. the zip tie arrangement mentioned above. If you can confirm the bolt is OK and not too small, that would be great.

Thankyou!
(First track outing with semi-slicks coming on monday. Hoping not to visit the sand :) )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts