Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
My 2 cents

A lot of people say that pulling the engine and trans together is easier than dropping the gearbox out the bottom by itself.

Either way, you will still need to disconnect the downpipe from the manifold.

Pulling the engine and trans together requires the removal of the hood and radiator (which the gearbox out the back method doesn't).

Dropping the gearbox alone requires the removal of the front (or entire) prop shaft, one or more exhaust system pipes, and the starter motor (which pulling the engine/trans together does not).

If you have just one excuse/reason to need the engine out (like cleaning the block or the engine bay, or touching up some paint in the engine compartment), I'd pull the two together.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Uh.....NO.
ARwrench is correct. It is not necessary to disconnect the downpipe from the manifold if you are just pulling the gearbox (even though it does make things a little easier).

What I should have said is: "Either way, you will still need to disconnect the downpipe from the manifold or the middle silencer pipe.

Sorry for the confusion. :surrender:

My intention was to indicate that some portion of the exhaust had to be dealt with, no matter which method was used.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.