Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preparing to pull the engine and transmission: I got the (4) nuts holding the Exhaust manifold to the front exhaust pipe off without too much trouble. I expected the pipe to separate from the manifold once the nuts were off but it did not budge. I tugged and shook but still no separation. I will be pulling the engine some time soon so should I just wait until I start pulling with a hoist?
I am concerned that these parts aint lettin go. Should I be?
Thanks Much,
NH Rick

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
I can only imagine the studs (presuming you have studs, not bolts?) have corroded.........try some liquid wrench spray and leave it on for a good while to work, then some gentle taps on the flange joint with a hammer might break the bond (don't whack it with a BFH or you will crack an expensive cast manifold!)

And no, I wouldn't just pull the engine with a hoist in the hope the manifold to exhaust downpipe joint will release, that'd be asking for trouble!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Rubber Mallet

I recently experienced the same thing you did when removing the original CAT from my '89 Grad.

I used a rubber mallet and a very long flat head screwdriver to tap away at the joint. I was gentle and worked my way around the joint.

If yours is like mine, there will be a few spots where the lower connection (CAT) protrudes out beyond the exhaust manifold connection (top) and the gasket (middle). Those were spots are where I paid particular attention for placing the screwdriver.

I started slow and gentle, working my way around the connection. I gave just a little bit stronger of a tap with each pass. Eventually I was able to notice the slightest of separation.At that point I continued going around using the same force and eventually it just fell free.

Be careful and happy hammering!-M5

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After multiple soakings with WD40 and thousands of gentle taps with a rubber mallet, I went to plan B: I reached under the car and gave the exhaust pipe a high frequency shake. This did the trick! The down-pipe released from the exhaust manifold and now I am ready to get under the car to unbolt some other things. But first: I need to jack it up and get something under it (ramps?) that I feel safe under.
Thanks for the advice!
NH Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts