Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I dropped a 2 liter from a 76 spider into a 71 GTV and just about everything has gone well except the Oil Pressure gauge in the GTV now reads zero and the idiot light is on. When the 1750 I pulled was in the car the gauges worked fine. The 2L was running in the spider and has no issues either so I think I have a wiring/sending unit problem.

What is the difference between the two oil sending units? I assume one is pressure and one is idot light. There is one on the exhaust side and one on the intake side. Can I simply remove the sending units out of the old 1750 and transplant them?

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
505 Posts
The gauge shows you the oil pressure at any instance. The light comes on when the pressure becomes too low, either due to lack of oil in the sump or worn bearings/pump/etc.

The gauge is the engine life-saver, the lamp usually goes on when damage has already been done, but I dont think it's the case with your engine.There must be someting wrong with the electrical circuit, I've never heard of a pressure gauge that is working correctly and doesn't give a reading at all!

By the way, is it possible that the wires are interchanged so that the gauge wire is connected to the lamp and vice-versa????

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
The warning light on a 2 liter is in the block on the exhaust side, on the 1750 it is on the oil filter housing if I remember correctly. Make sure the sending unit for the gauge is the same make as the gauge. A mismatch results in a zero pressure reading. From what I see in the Centerline catalogue, you should be able to move the sending units from your 1750 engine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great! Thanks GT4EVR.

I am really excited to get this thing going. 10.4 Borgos, 11mm cams, headers, springs, Konis, LSD, Magnaflow SS Exhaust - all going on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts