Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfa alfetta gt has just been rebuilt and put back into car. the engine will turn and start up as-long as the key is turned and then shuts off once i let off of the key. also found that the engine is spitting fuel out of the cams almost like it is all reversed.

Whats my problem?

thanks in advance

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
The first place I'd look would be at the ignition coil. Either the ballast resistor is NG or there's a mis-wiring. This assumes that the ignition switch is okay.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The ignition coil, yes. Check if the 12V doesn't disappear when you release the ignition key. If so, your switch is shot.
(I'm not sure what happened if the starter was stuck and wouldn't disengage. I had plenty of starters die on me, but not one in this particular fashion. I don't think that would kill the engine, though; much more likely the other way around.)

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
some basic tips:

with key in ON position, should be 12v at coil. check little black wire to bottom of dizzy.
check microswitch and other injector hookups. check engine ground bottom rear.

check that dizzy is installed correctly and timed correctly (engine timing gear can be 180 out)

if not, you wired wrong

fuel spitting out of 'cams'?(do you mean intake runers?) did you time injector pump correctly?

multiple attempts at starting will cause a lot of fuel to build up in runers due to cold start solenoid firing every time.

cam timing 'correct'? must be TDC #1, cams timed correctly , and 'p' mark for crank pulley, and dizzy at mark ALL at the same time for MECHANICAl timing. and then you have injector timing 'I' which occurrs before mechanical timing

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, meant fuel spitting out of carbs not cams. Seems as if it is in-taking from the exhaust and pushing out of the intake (if that makes sense). the ignition coil is new, its a bosch and doesn't have the resistor. Crank pulley was set to P, along with a good ground. I will check your other tips when i get home

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Solved

Thanks papajam it was the resistor. wasn't connected correctly therefore the engine would run when the key was turned but shutoff when released.Thanks for everyone's help. Starts up straight away now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.