Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I picked up this 78’ Spider a couple years ago with 28k original miles (with paperwork) and I am finally getting to it. Just finished up a respray in the original Ivory (car had some damage on the drivers side). I previously replaced the Spica belt (reason the car quit and was damaged overnight when left in the parking lot). I replaced the fuel filter, drained the tank, cleaned the injectors and replaced the o-rings. New front seal and water pump. I also replaced the points and plugs. The car will start and run when cold, after running for a little while (drive down the street and back), the car will die and will not restart. It is getting spark, I was thinking the coil was weak and going bad and replaced it but that was not the issue. I have spark, starter fluid will not get it going again, so I am guessing it’s flooding? Any ideas?

Second question is I am looking for some carpet. Anyone know where to get a brown set to match the original? The two floor pieces were missing when I got the car. I looked around online and it shows that it should have been a one piece molded carpet. Its not the one pics style, it looks original and I did not see a replacement in the paperwork.

looking forward to your comments!

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
The car will start and run when cold, after running for a little while (drive down the street and back), the car will die and will not restart.
I'm no Spica expert, but I would start with the thermostatic actuator which controls the mixture as the engine transitions from cold to hot. Sounds like your's is stuck in the "cold" position. The "T.A." is a fluid-filled tube that runs from the intake manifold to the Spica pump. If the tube has cracked, and the fluid leaked out, then it can't make the pump to lean out the mixture when the engine warms up.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Jay may be right but in my experience the car will start and run with a bad TA, it just won't start again when hot. When I've had this issue it was because of a clogged fuel filter. I see you replaced one filter but I believe there are at least two. My suggestion would be to remove the fuel line going into the Spica, replace it with a longer line if necessary and run the fuel line into a one gallon or larger gas tank. Turn your key to the 'on' (not start) position so that the fuel pump runs and see how long it take to pump a gallon or two of gas from the tank. When I did this a quart pumped very fast and then the flow almost stopped because the rear main filter was clogged up. If your filters are good and the flow diminishes, it could be your electric fuel pump or perhaps an electrical issue -like a bad fuse holder or ground.

Mark

·
Registered
887 Posts
I can't help with the No Start, or Rug issue.

I just want to say how much I love that color. My first spider (1985 Graduate) was that Ivory.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both fuel filters and the fuel lines were replaced. Don’t think flow is an issue as i checked it when we flushed the tank. Also, I can run it up to redline and it pulls. It does backfire on deceleration some.

I’ll read up on the thermostatic actuator. I did see a manual conversion for it. New ones looked like they were $585!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts