Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
It sounds like the re-profiled ventures are a good mod to install.

Here are a couple of pics of cam followers the had odd wear patterns on them. I just don't know what to make of it.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,496 Posts
What brand of followers are these. If aftermarket that could be the issue. The ONLY aftermarket followers I will use are arrow brand. Looks like there`s a dip between the edges and area over the valve & shim.
Looks like the cams lobes (at the nose) are doing the lifting. High lift cam lobes have to have a smaller BC to prevent edge wiping . The 472+3 pairing has never been a problem with such as they are built with a 1.030" bc.
Lash is critical with these cams. Lash should be no more than .010" intake and no more than .012 on the exhaust. Otherwise the mild curve on the lobe designs will have the upper area of the lobe doing the lifting of the valves.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I have your 472 +3 on the intake and 785 on exhaust.

The first picture is exhaust #1 and the second is exhaust #2. The #4 on the intake looks similar to the second picture. The rest look fine.

·
Richard Jemison
7,496 Posts
Well looking at them tells you to pull those lifters and check them for flatness with a straight edge. If you can see light between the lifter & straight edge replace them. I would replace them in any event....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Who makes the best cam followers for a 2L Nord motor?

Has anyone used Alfaholics nitrided or coated followers?

·
Richard Jemison
7,496 Posts
I will only use Arrow brand aftermarket followers.
I wouldn`t buy anything without knowing the manufacturer. AH has sold problem parts, miss represented engine outputs etc. Overprice everything.
Call Centerline and get Arrow followers. You might have to but a box...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I once didn't heed Richard's advice regarding followers. All eight of them, supposedly race quality, failed in less than 500 miles. But I saved $200...

101 - 109 of 109 Posts