Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
The fogs were on because it was rainy and foggy. However, for some reason they didn't like 6 lights on at the same time. Figure that out. Guess I was either turn off the headlights, or disconnect the parking lights?? Maybe since they were aftermarket fogs, he thought they were some sort of driving lights. Not allowed to have 4 headlights on at the same time in those days? Was the 60's/70's.

I don't think it is that way now, but haven't researched it in years, since I've haven't used fog lights in decades. Seattle generally doesn't get much fog like we used to, too much development everywhere. I remember coming back from a high school football game, the fog was sooo thick across the Green river valley south of Seattle, we had to have someone outside in front of the car in some places to find the edge of the road, no fog lines in those days, lol.

"PITA if everybody had overly bright lights, but fogs usually aren't. Defeats the purpose as far as I know"

I think that many fogs are very mis-aimed, most drivers not paying attention to that these days. After all, a car is just an appliance, right?

·
Registered
136 Posts
In parts of Europe its allowed to use the Fogs only as day runnings lights, also low beam is allowed here.
I use the Fogs at 80% power as DRL (no other lights on) as i don't want to deface the car with additional LEDs, even they are small.

·
Premium Member
26,715 Posts
My Merc Capri, Dodge Ram, and now my Jeep GC all were wired for low beams and fogs on at same time but fogs turned off on high beams setting.

As you know, fogs will only come on when low beams are on the 164 and stay on with high beams. Rear fogs won't come on unless front fogs are on, too.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
I sometimes use the rear fogs when driving on the freeway in heavy rain with tons of water spray so that the car behind me can tell I'm there.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
studies show fog lights dont do much to help see but they're invaluable in being "seen". Here in Italy I've not known anyone pulled over for mechanical "infractions". Thinking appears to be that if the car passed it's state mandated bi-annual inspection and it's current, yer GTG.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

Ciao, chris

·
Registered
136 Posts
In parts of Europe its allowed to use the Fogs only as day runnings lights, also low beam is allowed here.
I use the Fogs at 80% power as DRL (no other lights on) as i don't want to deface the car with additional LEDs, even they are small.
I have forgotten to say, that this function is achieved with an additional DRL-module, which makes the logic and generates the PWM.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
studies show fog lights dont do much to help see but they're invaluable in being "seen". Here in Italy I've not known anyone pulled over for mechanical "infractions". Thinking appears to be that if the car passed it's state mandated bi-annual inspection and it's current, yer GTG.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Ciao, chris
No they do not do much really. There are some good ones from the factory but overall they are useless. The rears are really the more important ones in bad fog or weather.
There are a few good aftermarket but for the most part there are not many good ones that light the foreground and sides properly with enough lumens.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I added yellow Lamin-x to my stock fogs and it looks great plus adds some protection. I might see if I can source yellow bulbs too, since the emitted light is a little pale yellow with the clear bulbs.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
It's interesting that rear fog lights are not available on US manufactured cars, only on some European makes such as our Alfas. Some models of Alfas had them disconnected even if the general equipment was there in the tail light setups. Evidently they were illegal at one time or another in this country.

Same I think for yellow headlights. I remember that in the 60's/70's when French cars were available here, yellow headlights were not allowed, white light being required and installed.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes, on my VW touareg the rear fog is disconnected, I have to run a Euro switch and run 1 wire to the rear lamp harness. Pretty simple but still should just be standard equip. But I suppose most do not understand the function of both front and rear fogs.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
I added yellow Lamin-x to my stock fogs and it looks great plus adds some protection. I might see if I can source yellow bulbs too, since the emitted light is a little pale yellow with the clear bulbs.
It will look good but will not function properly. Daniel Stern told me the bulbs are useless and film reduces lumens up to 20%. Plus passing light through a yellow film will not give the proper yellow hue needed, a proper yellow light must come from a clear bulb used with a yellow reflector such as the OEM ones (french) are. But since fogs are useless it really does not matter. haha

Correction: "There are many ways of making a "proper" yellow lamp. Can be clear bulb behind bulb shield and in front of yellow reflector, can be clear bulb and colourless reflector behind yellow lens, can be clear bulb inside yellow glass balloon with colourless reflector and lens..." Daniel Stern

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
It would be interesting to know how dealers or manufacturers have cars fit out by state or whatever area. I have no idea how they do it. It seems like a real hassle to order a car per your own standards.

I haven't needed fog lights in 19 years of driving in CT! I can remember one trip in the late 80s with my parents where they might have helped. But that was in an Olds Delta 88, so a multitude of things may have helped!

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"It would be interesting to know how dealers or manufacturers have cars fit out by state or whatever area. I have no idea how they do it. It seems like a real hassle to order a car per your own standards:

Most of this is Federal regulations, not state by state.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It will look good but will not function properly. Daniel Stern told me the bulbs are useless and film reduces lumens up to 20%. Plus passing light through a yellow film will not give the proper yellow hue needed, a proper yellow light must come from a clear bulb used with a yellow reflector such as the OEM ones (french) are. But since fogs are useless it really does not matter. haha
Yep, the fog lights are truly useless once you have Bosch headlights installed. Those are the best investment in lighting you can make, so my yellow fogs are purely cosmetic.

·
Premium Member
26,715 Posts
The fog lights make good DRL's to help you be seen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
..the nice thing about the yellow foglamps is that they look cool without even being turned on :)

Almost any foglamp I've ever used has been pretty useless alright. Many years ago we had a Peugeot 405 that had decent foglamps.. the lenses eventually got smashed by stonechips, so the dealer replaced them with the updated units from the latest car.. which were, of course, useless.

Using foglights without headlights can occasionally be useful at very low speeds to "see under" heavy fog, but something to keep in mind is that it can give a misleading impression of your position to oncoming traffic.. lights closer to the ground can sometimes look farther away than they actually are to somebody expecting to see headlights at a standard height. I don't think low-mounted DRLs are a great idea either for the same reason, though most manufacturers these days seem to be moving them back to the headlight cluster again.

I have a pair of white pre-facelift foglamps here (Ireland) in decent condition if anyone is looking for them.. probably not worth it to ship to the US, but UK or EU should be reasonable enough.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts