Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a set of French Fogs (Yellow coated reflector) and I am tempted to keep them and install them. Only thing I don't like about them is the cover for the bulb is rubber. So my thoughts are to heat up the lamps and remove the lens and install them in another clear set so it has the hard plastic backing.

I have also e-mailed Dan Stern lighting to see what unit is better. A yellow reflector or a silver reflector with a yellow all weather bulb?

I don't want to let go of the French units if they are better, plus they are hard to find.

I think they may add a nice little touch to the car especially with white.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stern says the French are the best. Forget the bulbs. haha
So I have a set of French Fogs (Yellow coated reflector) and I am tempted to keep them and install them. Only thing I don't like about them is the cover for the bulb is rubber. So my thoughts are to heat up the lamps and remove the lens and install them in another clear set so it has the hard plastic backing.

I have also e-mailed Dan Stern lighting to see what unit is better. A yellow reflector or a silver reflector with a yellow all weather bulb?

I don't want to let go of the French units if they are better, plus they are hard to find.

I think they may add a nice little touch to the car especially with white.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
I remember driving in France in 1967 in my 67 Cooper S Mini, with white English headlights (yes, left drive car for here, but with right hand dipped headlights for delivery in England, those headlights not being liked by the French drivers I can imagine). Anyway, when I asked a couple of French drivers why France had yellow headlights, they all said that, well, the French had to be different, lol.

But, hey, why not?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Having just cleaned up a set of fogs, one with rubber back and one with plastic, I would be just fine with the rubber. No need to take them apart in my opinion unless they need work otherwise.

I like the look of those yellow lights. If the 164 isn't individualized enough as is, I guess you could put those in and make it that much more different. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
yellow for a variety of reasons. ciao chris

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the notes here. I am keeping the yellow. They are super cool and difference in yellow from the clear with a yellow bulb to the clear bulb with yellow reflector is completely difference. The French are real yellow while the bulbs are not very good.

I suppose the rubber backing is a lot easier to deal with for sure.

I'll get a pic up asap with them in.

·
Premium Member
26,730 Posts
I have brand new sets of both yellows and whites I picked up years ago. So far I haven't had to install them.

I am not rescuing any 164s with broken lights right now I used up all my spare used ones on those rescue projects.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have brand new sets of both yellows and whites I picked up years ago. So far I haven't had to install them.

I am not rescuing any 164s with broken lights right now I used up all my spare used ones on those rescue projects.
I have a brand new pair of clears as well that I am putting away for someday. I will be putting a clear protective layer over them before I install them. Should be a fun and different little option I will never use but the yellow hue through the clear glass is neat. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Are these legal Stateside. They aren't here.
They are here. I doubt my Euro headlights are either but I still use them as they are better. US cops don't bust people for lighting here. Unless they are civic's and lowered boy cars.. Driving in normal conditions with Fogs on is illegal though.

Both the internationalized European ECE Regulation 19[2] and North American SAE standard J583[3] permit selective yellow front fog lamps.

6.4 Color to exclude the color between white and selective yellow to harmonize with ECE R19. Changed from … shall be white to selective yellow … to … shall be white or selective yellow.

http://standards.sae.org/j583_201111/

The intent of selective yellow is to improve vision by removing short, blue to violet wavelengths from the projected light. These wavelengths are difficult for the human visual system to process properly, and they cause perceived dazzle and glare effects in rain, fog and snow.[7] Removing the blue-violet portion of a lamp's output to obtain selective yellow light can entail filter losses of around 15%,[8] though the effect of this reduction is mitigated or countervailed by the increased visual acuity available with yellow rather than white light in bad weather.[7]

Last time I checked, Canada is part of NA. ;)

Laws state they have to be adjusted correctly and emit only white or yellow light:

http://bc.cb.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=50&languageId=1&contentId=30058

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I note there is indeed also an exception for fog lights in my jurisdiction. However, only white headlights are allowed and they must be on low beam when the fog lights are on. This is a silly requirement as it defeats the purpose of the fog lamp. This is particularly the case in blinding snow when low mounted driving or fog lights work better than headlights.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I note there is indeed also an exception for fog lights in my jurisdiction. However, only white headlights are allowed and they must be on low beam when the fog lights are on. This is a silly requirement as it defeats the purpose of the fog lamp. This is particularly the case in blinding snow when low mounted driving or fog lights work better than headlights.
Yes, that is correct. Low beams on while fogs on. It does not defeat the purpose as the main beams do there job for distance and some wideness with a slightly higher level than the fog. The fog is low and has a short beam pattern but extremely wide. So combine with low beams it helps with vision. Yellow helps greatly in snow I have found. It really brings out the imperfections in the snow/ice where blue does not. Our eye's are better at seeing yellow anyway.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yellow lights! These days, they're even rare here.

Back when I was a kid they were much more common. Not every French car had them as both Citroen and Renault have local factories.
Most that had them were immigrant's cars. At one time there were so many grey market imports they had their own series of license plates.

Is there anything that can look more French than a Peugeot 505 with yellow lights?
Snap 2015-04-19 at 00.10.19.jpg

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi guys,
the yellow light look better then the white,
We have lots of japan's imports car with the yellow fog light
in Australia eg: nissan skylines,toyota soarer, etc
Drives are getting fined buy the fuzz over them

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
I remember being pulled over many years ago in my Sprint GT by the State Patrol because I had aftermarket fog lights (the car not coming with any as new) on at the same time I had my low beams on, as well as the usual parking lights. He said that Washington State regulations (at least at that time) didn't allow having the fogs on at the same time, ie, couldn't have 6 lights on. Very weird. He didn't give me a ticket, and actually called me up a day later to read to me the regulation. He was correct. Was a nice guy.

That was like the time in that same time period with the Sprint GT when I got pulled over in a pouring rain by the State Patrol, he feeling that I was motoring too fast in the rain. I showed him that I had on those Dunlop "rain tires", the ones which had little tubes and slits connecting the various tread sections, and had an umbrella symbol molded in the side wall to identify them. They did work pretty well, but not so good in the dry, the rubber and tread pattern being too soft. Once again, the guy didn't give me a ticket, saying, well, I guess if they work... just take it easy, ok?

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Makes sense since fogs should only be used...in the fog. I suppose having mains and drivings on with fogs is illegal as it produces too much glare to oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Not to undermined the efforts of law enforcement, but it's BS or random. At least by state. I asked a state cop neighbor if I could get pulled over for driving with no bumper to the body shop. He laughed and said he wouldn't and only a dick would stop me.

Just sayin. Lights are less a danger than that in my opinion. Some of these aftermarket lights are bright , but personally it's not that bothersome.

Could be a PITA if everybody had overly bright lights, but fogs usually aren't. Defeats the purpose as far as I know. :geek:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts