Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1976 Alfetta GT, 2018 Giulia Sport
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fred Hamilton, long time AROSC Time Trialer and father of Chief Instructor Steve Hamilton, passed away August 4.
At the age of 97 (yep, 97, not a typo) we last saw Fred on the track in May at Buttonwillow. He was having a blast with his Charger.
Thanks for hanging with us Alfa folks Fred.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It was great seeing Fred on the track in May ... actually it was always great seeing Fred no matter what. I will miss him and his ever present humor. Smooth is fast Fred.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
My condolences to the family for your loss. I didn't know Fred well, but he was always happy and gave a friendly greeting whenever we would pass each other in the pits.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My condolence to the Hamilton family, I first meet Fred at my first time trial in 1996 at Buttonwillow. Fred was always a inspiration and he will be greatly missed at the up coming events.

Art Russell

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I didn't know Fred well either, but seeing him drive at the AROSC track events over the years was always inspiring. RIP - condolences to the family.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Condolences to the Hamilton family. Fred was an inspiration and a model to me. It was about 8 years ago that Norm Silverman was trying to convince me to enter Time Trials. I tried to use the excuse that I was too old. He pointed to Fred and told me his age then asked "what is your excuse now"? I had no excuse so I tried to keep up with the smooth driving gentleman in the Buick. He will be missed by all.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Godspeed Fred ( emphasis on SPEED ! ).

Condolences Steve and family.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Amazing guy... always full of spirit, always smiling. At Buttonwillow, I asked Fred how his Dodge compared to his old Buick. He just smiled and said, “Hemi.” We’ll miss him. May he find endless track time in heaven... Condolences to the Hamilton family.

·
Registered
1976 Alfetta GT, 2018 Giulia Sport
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Fast Freddy, RIP

I thought I would post the obit that will appear in the next Alfacionada.
Fred was a good friend of Mary and me. We always looked forward to seeing him at the track. And I think he had a sweet spot for Mary as he always asked about her first before he said Hi to me, but that is not important.
Gonna miss him like crazy but we are sure glad to have known him.
Here is a photo of Fred and Steve at the May Time Trial.

Fred Hamilton: April 4, 1914 – August 4, 2011
Fred Hamilton, long time AROSC Time Trialer and father of Chief Instructor Steve Hamilton passed away August 4 after a brief fight with cancer.
Fred served in WWII as a radio operator / top turret gunner in a B-24 bomber and then worked in the So Calif aerospace industry.
At the young age of 81 he joined his son (Steve) and son-in-law (Paul Ellis) and came out to one of our Time Trials with his Buick Regal sedan, the “Sunday-go-to-meeting” car. We made his car number 81 to reflect his age. After a few events it became evident that Fred was getting serious. The Buick lost its rear seat and it now had heavy duty Wildwood brakes never meant for a Buick Regal. He became “Fast Freddy”.
At the age of 97 we last saw Fred on the track in May at Buttonwillow. He was having a blast with his latest ride, a Dodge Charger.
Thanks for hanging with us Alfa folks Fred. It was an honor and a pleasure.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
I just want to say goodbye to Fred. Fred, you made a Buick Regal go faster that I thought a Buick Regal could go. It was a blast to drive on the track with you Fred. You will be missed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I first started driving (and with arosc), Fred was there. I remembered the extra air scoops upfront of the Regal to channel air to cool the brakes, to following him on the track watching his lines and learn. He was there during the last aroschpd too, smiling and upbeat as always. Fred, I am going to miss you.

Condolences to the family.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts