Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so here is the story. Pulled the dash and lower knee guard out to install a new blower motor. I got the motor in and tested everything and it worked fine. I put the dash back together and everything seemed good. The car sat for a while as I toiled to yank the steering wheel out. I finally got that done. I tried to put in a new heater switch and ended up dropping the wires behind the panel as I was digging for the wire I grounded something out and popped a fuse. I replaced the fuse and got everything ready. I took it out for the first time last night and everything works except my battery(alternator) light was on. I thought that meant the charge on the battery was low so I charged it. The light still is on. Also, my gas gauge, oil pressure gage, tach, and speedo are inoperative. The heater fan light, turn indicators, headlight, and high beam lights in the monopod all work. Everything used to work before I tore the dash apart. Is there a fuse that also may have popped that is somewhere other than the fuse box? I found two under the hood but they were intact. Any assistance would be helpful cuz it is bugging the heck out of me.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
You might have a ground wire behind the dash that isn't hooked up. The input flows through the guage to ground. No ground = no indication. Recheck all your connections. You might have a ground that has popped off behind the guages. It is a small crevice behind the console and it is a nightmare sometimes getting those connectors to stay on. Ask Papajam for a wiring diagram for your car. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
this blows man! I always disconnect the battery when effing with electronics because I learned the hard way on a Series 3 Jag I used to have. it's gotta be a ground.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where does the monopod ground? How would I go about finding the bad ground? I am not too familiar with these cars yet. I got it about 5 months ago for 1000 bucks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, to add to it all the turn signals stopped working on my drive home from work this evening. I checked the fuses and they are intact. I can hear the relay clicking, but no indicator in the monopod and no signals. Do I have to remove the kneepad to fix this stuff, or can I do it underneath?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got the signals working. It was the relay. I had an extra on hand and that did the trick. Still can't get gas gauge, speedo, tach, e-brake light, oil pressure gauge, temp gauge, to work. Alt light is still on, but no other signs of bad alternator. Really can't figure this out. I crawled under the dash tonight and nothing looked out of place. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the four connections to the instrument cluster and the connectors under the dash with contact cleaner? You might consider removing each instrument light from the back of the cluster and cleaning contacts there as well. To access the cluster connectors under the dash, you will likely need to remove or at least loosen the kneepad. This is necessary to remove the hard plastic vent duct located just forward of the kneepad. As velocedoc suggests, ask Papajam for a wiring diagram.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts