Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years there has been a large drain on my gtv6's battery even when nothing is turned on - I've always put it down to the clock. My battery goes flat all the time.

today I was fixing my courtesy lights and found the problem...

there is a timer for the lights located behind the dash above the fuse box.

the pictures show how much corrosion was inside it, causing a short and sucking the juice out of my battery.

I simply removed it and jumpered the door switch wire (green/white) to the output wire (grey/black).

Hope this helps anyone else trying to track down electrical gremlins.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,391 Posts
Looks like the light timer that was in our '84 Spider - including the internal corrosion. (our '81 GTV6 doesn't have a light timer relay)

I jumpered the light timer relay's connections in our Spider. Door open - lights on, door closed - lights off. If I need to see something inside the car while entering the car when it is dark I leave the door open. Works fine for me.

Jumper wire in Spider fuse box:

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Is there a Bosch number on the case?
If we were to look for that item. It would be much easier. Especially when our steering wheels are on the other side.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Attached is a picture of the part.

It has "SIPEA 0692 12V MADE IN ITALY" stamped on it.

It looks like a normal relay, but its not. Its a timer that dims the interior lights after a 20 second delay.

These posts helped me to find it:-

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Forum
Alfa Romeo GTV6 Forum

I'm guessing its on the right hand side on both lhd and rhd gtv6s.

Its on the metal dash support above the fuse box near the vent.

I have an '83, it seems from the posts that other years have them as well.

To solve it I removed the timer and jumpered the wires on the plug, now the interior lights come on when the door is open and turn off as soon as they are closed, same as ghnl's spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
in order to have that much corrosion inside that timer relay, there MUST be water leaking directly on it from the fresh air vents, no?

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I had a spare that I thought was in good shape but looked EXACTLY like yours on the inside. Common leak AC??

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
checked my spare and it is also corroded. Looks like being mounted upside down allows water to collect inside the case. This eventually rusts the spring which breaks and falls into the water and then rusts more. The iron dust coats everything and causes the shorts.

I can see the high tide mark was at about 15mm. probably filled and dried out several times over the years.

not good placement.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
No, it won't. This is the ONLY relay mounted upside down in the car. Just basic daily condensation will allow moisture to seep down and collect.
I mean, why are ALL the other relays mounted the other way?.

[maybe a disgruntled, hung over, Alfa assembly line worker? With a perverse sense of humor??,,,,]

·
Registered
520 Posts
I can't see much detail under all that corrosion, but might it be mounted upside down so gravity assists the contacts closing, or just takes pressure off the spring when mounted that way?
Or maybe so when you hit a decent bump in the road your interior lights don't flash as the contact bounces against the spring? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
The contact mechanism will work in any direction. Spring keeps it 'open' at a force much greater than gravity. Same components (relay coil/spring) is in the ingnition relay in the engine bay (only difference is it has two internal relays).

I think it is mounted this way because of ease in assembly. add on components located by some screws at base of dash... kinda like the add on relays for starter attached to side of fuse block

I checked the one in my 86 and it is sparkly clean. So I lucked out that any moisture dripping on the relay housing was minimal. I will not be reinstalled upside down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts