Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buona sera,
I may have lucked into the possible private purchase of a 1300 Jr Z that's been sitting a couple of years indoors, dirty and unattended, but reportedly in solid driver condition when parked. Unknown milage, unknown VIN. 1971 model year. I've lurked on this forum now for a week or so, reading and looking at what things are unique and particular to the Junior Z's..

My basic understanding is:
  • The drivetrain is standard Alfa Spider fare; engine transmission, drive shaft, diff, brakes, steering, suspension, etc... all lifted from a Spider, nothing unique?
  • The upper works is all unique and made by Zagato; Sheetmetal, glass, rubber, exterior and interior trim.. are the buttress seats unique?
  • Fuel tank is fabricated to fit the shortened rear pan.
  • Electrics, gauges, lenses: I expect these are sourced "off the shelf" from (and exchange with) known counterparts from Lancia, Fiat, Alfa, etc.?
  • Engine bay accessories like alternator, coolant system, fluid tanks, master cylinders, etc are all Alfa or sourced the same as above?
I'm generally knowledgeable and observant and feel I can keep myself out of trouble.. But corrosion aside, you all may know best; what or where does trouble lurk in the early 1300 Junior Zs?
Grazie,
- Art

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The trouble of owning a junior Z is looking at it all the time,,and then driving it at every opportunity.
Mine sits in my workshop and I admire it every time I walk past it.
Then when you drive it,,you dont want to get out of it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The trouble of owning a junior Z is looking at it all the time,,and then driving it at every opportunity.
Mine sits in my workshop and I admire it every time I walk past it.
Then when you drive it,,you dont want to get out of it.
(y):)That sounds wonderfully consistent with a number of threads, videos, and comments I've seen about the Junior Z. I don't believe I've actually ever seen one in person, but I've loved their look from the moment I saw a picture of one around age 20. I have an 80's issue of Classic and Sportscar Magazine featuring on its cover the Junior Z, the Lancia Fulvia Zagato and another small Euro GT coupe I don't recall. I still have that issue. Feb '89. Cheers, - Art

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless this car is a rust bucket or missing a ton of hard to find parts, I don't see any reason why you should not buy the car.
Hard to find trim parts or missing parts are something I can visually check. Can't hide that. Does its construction lend itself at all to hidden corrosion, like an E-Type?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Not sure where located, but might be good to have a "phone a friend" in your back pocket to face time when you go to see it. Sure you will find there are several knowledgeable Z contacts that could help. Tom Sahines would be my first choice.

Reactions: 76Satisfaction

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure where located, but might be good to have a "phone a friend" in your back pocket to face time when you go to see it. Sure you will find there are several knowledgeable Z contacts that could help. Tom Sahines would be my first choice.
Thanks, that's a good idea. And come to think of it I do have such a knowledgeable friend... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hey Art,

I think people gave good advice here already. All mechanical components and some interior fittings like gauges are indeed all stock Alfa. I think the gas tank on 1300 models are Montreal but I also recall somebody correcting me on that ...

The most rare and difficult pieces usually are the dash, seats (Which are unique to the Junior Z), seat mechanism, which break, door cards, the trunk cover plastics, which are flimsy and break easily, outside trim made for the car like the stainless gutters, tops for the rear bumper, etc. However, you do find outside trim easier for the 1300 cars as they made substantially more than 1600 cars. So you can find rarer pieces such as bumpers, the plexi trim, etc. It might take a good while though ...Wheels, while not descript, are unique to the car and they are completely unobtanium as they were often discarded by the dealers in period or owners later. Then considered boring, now insanely cherished.

A lot of things can be restored but can get slightly expensive. The 1300 for example, had a three-piece dash. Likely you will not find a replacement. However, a company like Just Dashes can restore it to new for about $3,500 or so. The Windshield can be found. I found one in the US for $900. Expect more when you need to ship from Europe (THey are available more often). Rubber trim is available especially the unique rubber for the front and rear bumpers and so is all window rubber parts.

Body work would not scare me if rust/ damage is not excessive. All underpinnings are Spider so easy to find and work on. Even if you have rust in body panels, there is nothing a talented body shop could not fix.

It really is in the correct details. And I would make sure to focus on them excessively: The value gap for incorrect cars to totally correct ones is massive for the Junior Z and those that want one do look for correctness.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Art,

It really is in the correct details. And I would make sure to focus on them excessively: The value gap for incorrect cars to totally correct ones is massive for the Junior Z and those that want one do look for correctness.
Thank you for the excellent summary of the various aspects of the Junior Z, they match well with what I have heard or come across to date.. with the added emphasis on impact on value.

This particular car is a 1300 with that exact "style" of history:
  • It rides on aftermarket alloys. The unobtainium original rims were sold. (They were sold to a person known to the seller, but that person has sold them on. I will nonetheless attempt to trace them). The spare tire is the only OEM rim left.
  • It was track-prepped at one point in its life. This seems to have led to the seat belts and steering wheel being replaced with aftermarket products.
  • It's not clear if or what other modifications were made for the track, but the 1300 engine and seats remain original.
As far as I could find, the 1300 gas tank was custom fabricated to fit the shortened Spider trunk pan. The 1600 used a Montreal tank that fit a non-shortened Spider trunk pan.
If I have that wrong, clarifications are welcome.

Cheers,
- Art

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you don’t want to buy this, I’ll give you the money to buy it for me.
Send me $75k and the car is yours! LOL ... j/k.

The owner has been very easy to talk with, we are on the same wavelength if you will. I don't expect any drama. I'm just waiting for him to decide on an asking price. If anyone has been surfing around lately, there was a '72 needing similar restoration, from the Petitjean collection that auctioned in the UK last week.. winning bid was US$25,500.
- Art

·
Registered
487 Posts
LOL good luck! I have a couple of gtv6s. I always liked the hatchback look...sort of a predecessor to some of the 116 design.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a couple of gtv6s. I always liked the hatchback look...sort of a predecessor to some of the 116 design.
GTV6! Oh gosh, not to hijack my own thread here, but why not? ..both the seller and I own them too.. and we agree they'd be the last ones to ever be sold. Fabulous machines..
"Brilliant minds think alike"? LOL.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
When I saw the auction result from the Petitjean collection for the 1300 first, I thought that somebody got a bargain.

when I clicked on the detail description and pictures I went “oh crap, somebody bought an expensive all-in restoration”. Given condition, I thought it was very well sold. Good for us owners.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when I clicked on the detail description and pictures I went “oh crap, somebody bought an expensive all-in restoration”. Given condition, I thought it was very well sold. Good for us owners.
The more you look at the pictures, the more disturbing the problems. But step back ...and from 20 feet away and it looks lovely.
- Art

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Is it fair to assume that Euro rubber pieces are not available and that's why you go through all this work?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it fair to assume that Euro rubber pieces are not available and that's why you go through all this work?
I'm sorry, can you restate your question? I'm not sure I understand the references.
- Art

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Oh my God - Posted in a completely wrong threat. Was meant for a Spider. So sorry for confusing you :)

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
There are two JR Z's in MA. Both are owned by AONE members. I think they are both 1600 versions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts