Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I have been coveting an Alfa for quite some time now, and I have always been a fan of the 164. It reminds me of the body lines of the Peugeot 405 Mi16 I once owned. (I believe they were both designed by Pininfarina & yes I have an addiction to oddball Euro vehicles!)

Anyway the Q I came across has 96,000 miles on it, no real rust to speak of as far as a northeast vehicle is concerned. Motor runs mint, but it only has service stamps up to the 30k service. The bumpers and trim are faded to gray hell, and the clear is peeling, but that is minor. I am under the impression that "The Q's" were rare and in 95 there were only 135 or so imported. Is that true? I should probably go buy this thing huh? I ran it around a parking lot, and the clutch engages but the pedal is stiff as a bastard; throwout bearing or master cyl?

Any advice GREATLY appreciated! :D

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
804 Posts
Tim,
I would be very suspicious about that 164Q. As you stated, it's fairly rare model and for $1000, either the seller is a fool and doesn't know what he has or he's trying to unload something on an unsuspecting novice. "Q"s are pretty sophisticated beasts, with all the high end electronics for the time and a 24Valve twin cam engine, the selective suspension, etc. My old mechanic used to have a Love/Hate relationship with the ones that he serviced. Loved them because he could get a lot for the maintenance and hated because of hassle it gave him. I found this out when I told him of my lust for one. I have since moved on.

At any rate, you might contact "heavymetalalfa" here on the BB. He's an ace with Alfa's and has a shop in your neck of the woods (although he specializes in GTV6s, I'm sure that he can advise on 164s also). Unfortunately, I know that he is in Lexington, KY this week for the National Convention, but he might be able to respond to an email. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I think it is a case of the guy who has it not knowing what he has. His boss owed him money for a flooring job at a house they just re-finished, and he ended up with the car. I am told it sat in his boss' yard for a year or two. It had a New York inspection sticker from 2003 on it, so who knows the last time it was driven. I have a lift in my garage at home, and plenty of tools. If I do this, I'll certainly have to get plenty of lit on the vehicle. I am definitely going to be cautious as you said. I appreciate the advice:)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Sounds like the deal of the decade for you! So what do you have to lose, other than $1K? If the engine runs, it's worth it.

Keep posting on the progress and some pics when you have them.
BTW, there is a 164 specific forum here that I'm sure will be a wealth of information for you.

·
Premium Member
6,390 Posts
buy it

and have fun with it

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hello All!

I have been coveting an Alfa for quite some time now, and I have always been a fan of the 164. It reminds me of the body lines of the Peugeot 405 Mi16 I once owned. (I believe they were both designed by Pininfarina & yes I have an addiction to oddball Euro vehicles!)

Anyway the Q I came across has 96,000 miles on it, no real rust to speak of as far as a northeast vehicle is concerned. Motor runs mint, but it only has service stamps up to the 30k service. The bumpers and trim are faded to gray hell, and the clear is peeling, but that is minor. I am under the impression that "The Q's" were rare and in 95 there were only 135 or so imported. Is that true? I should probably go buy this thing huh? I ran it around a parking lot, and the clutch engages but the pedal is stiff as a bastard; throwout bearing or master cyl?

Any advice GREATLY appreciated! :D

Thanks,

Tim
Hi Tim,

Peter over here in VT. If you decide to buy that rascal, and don't mind it becoming an LS model... I'd work out a deal on swapping intake runners from an LS for your 'Q' intake runners (plus something to boot, of course).

I'm currently playing with installing a 24v LS motor into a GTV6. If I am going to all that bother on the conversion, I thought it would be nice to go the extra mile... if I could find some used 'Q' runners.

I will eventually have an extra set of 24v heads when I'm closer to finished, if that ever becomes a need for you.

Good luck on your decision, and let us know what you ended up doing on the 164.

BTW, a good friend of mine had a large part in designing the Peugeot 405. He was a member of the Peugeot in-house design team, at the time. He told me that most of the 405 styling was done in-house... and they called in Pininfarina late in the project to do the finishing touches. So, if you were going to put a badge on your new car introduction, to highlight the designer... which might be more effective: 'Pininfarina', or 'Rick from Huntington Beach'?

Pinifarina had a hand in the 405. But not as major as the badge might suggest. I too, like the styling on the 405.

·
Super Moderator
11,841 Posts
the clutch engages but the pedal is stiff as a bastard; throwout bearing or master cyl?
Tim:

You might read everything about 164 clutches at:notes0

In fact, you might want to read everything at the "Alfa 164 Tech Notes" site - it's a great resource for 164 owners. Also checkout the "search" function here on the BB.

A bad throwout bearing wouldn't cause a stiff clutch pedal. Could be the MC or slave cylinder. Could be the hydraulic damper (was Alfa still installing those as late as '95?). Worst case, the disk is almost to its wear limit, and it takes a lot of force to release the pressure plate at that point in its range.

I agree with Lance, $1,000 for a Q is the deal of the century. The peeling clearcoat and whatever other sun damage it has may account for some of the low price, but even as a parts car a Q should be worth well over $1,000. The story about boss owning him money, and the eight year old, out of state inspection sticker is worrisome - make sure the title is clear!

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
do you have any pics of the car?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Here is my 2 cents worth;

If for any reason you don't want to buy it,, I will !!

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I have an idea, let me buy it and I will think highly of you and and hook you up with a good car when you are ready.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I live nearby, go thru Amesbury pretty much every day, and would be willing to give this a look-over if that would be helpful to anyone interested who's farther away. Of course, at this price it's hard to go wrong. Not interested myself...no space.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts