Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Bosch platinum plugs in my Spider. Less than 500 miles later, two of them are fouled and the other two are on their way. I'm told this may indicate a (shudder) engine rebuild with new rings, valves corrected, if necessary, etc. That sounds like $5K that I don't have. In your experiences, are there other remedies for fouled plugs that are not as severe?

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
You didn't say what year, so carbs or fuel injection? It just might need some carb or FI work, or it may be an ignition problem. I would check those systems out before pulling the motor apart....

·
Registered
936 Posts
many people have had problems with Bosch platinum plugs fouling easier than conventional plugs.

how's the compression ?
how's the oil consumption ?
how's the gas mileage ?

if these are all in normal range, i would just try fresh NGK plugs before fearing the worst.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies, guys. There yet may be hope. My spider is an '86 w/ LJetronic. The Bosch (new but fouled by oil) plugs were saved and will be cleaned. I don't know what replaced them. Could this be a case of the most expensive (Bosch Platinum plugs) not necessarily being the best, as the IAP catalog said they were?
Gas mileage is about 24 around town, about 27 highway. I added oil about 200 miles ago (one quart) and it recently needed just to be topped off. Compression seems to be acceptable but I will confirm that. It does blow a little blue smoke, but not much.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
It does blow a little blue smoke, but not much.
Now you are getting somewhere! Does it blue smoke on start up and not really at all any other time? If so, your valve seals are leaking. If it is constant, it doesn't rule out the valve seals or head gaskets and/or piston rings, I'd investigate the valves before looking at a complete tear down. With the heads off for repair-you'll have an even more in-depth look at the cylinders to tell if you need to go ahead and pull the motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts