Alfa Romeo Forums banner
301 - 320 of 589 Posts

·
Administrator
16,017 Posts
I've been reading newspaper headings like "accident almost too scary to watch!!" Like w t f!!!. There are gokart accidents every weekend more dramatic than this, and putting the drivers head and neck at more risk.

F1 cars are light, the weight was not on the rear as the car was tipping forward, yes it is great the halo exists but he was not going to die in this accident, and it is far from a scary accident.

Honestly this world we live in now is so WOKE that even possibly the slowest and most gentle of accidents now generates headlines so out of proportion it is ridiculous. Soon races will be delayed as a mechanic has a paper cut.

The team managers need to stop adding drama trying to get the FIA to aid their drivers WDC position. This is where it comes from, not the actual truth of the situation. Trying to milk a foul
Pete

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,521 Posts
Point taken, but I used to watch F1, CART, NASCAR, etc, when drivers or workers could/did die when accidents/fires happened. That was when I was much younger. Now I value the skillful driving more than seeing accidents.

The most seemingly innocuous accidents can kill. Saw plenty of films of drivers dying from fires, loose wheels, broken pieces of chassis, just about anything, even something seemingly minor. Many safety changes have been made through the decades. Thus load tested chassis, and controls, fuel safety systems, the hans and halo devices, for example. Hardly "woke" activity. BTW, really dislike that coined word "woke".

Saw a pit crew member die up close on TV in a Cart race in Vancouver a few years ago. He was hit by a slowly sliding car and his head was slapped hard to the ground. Just a minor low speed accident, but I still cannot get that out of my mind. Now, later, strong helmets and fire suits for all. Is that being "woke"? Just common sense.

Well, anyway, maybe you are correct, but could have gone either way, by inches in my book. I don't get a kick out of drivers dying, or even getting close. Not my type of thrill. It is said the drivers maybe accept the odds, but I'm willing to bet none of them really want to die in a race.

Peace, and safe driving.

·
17,521 Posts
New from the FIA:

"Formula 1 has released new onboard camera footage of the crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton at Monza. The images clearly show the role of the halo in the crash. Without the halo, Hamilton would have been hit full on head by Verstappen's car"

Yow.

·
Administrator
16,017 Posts

·
17,521 Posts
Interesting race. Funny thing, though, if the rain hadn't come, Hamilton would have done better on point gap with Verstappen. Probably wouldn't have won the race, though. Verstappen was just plain lucky so many slid off in the last couple of laps.

Felt bad for Norris. His inexperience showed it's ugly head.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Fun race. Not sure how Alonso got away with taking the run off at the start; I think we will see others try it in the future.
It was also nice to see fresh drivers in the first starting positions. Lando should have covered Lewis by going to inters one lap earlier - too bad.

·
Registered
495 Posts
@Biscione, hard to say if it was deliberate at the start by Alonso as he was three wide into the corner and the middle car ran wide. Still, Alonso is a wiley old fox and also a very quick one, as evidenced by his ability to stay in front of Verstappen and to pass both Perez and Ricciardo once the rain started. Sadly, like Lando he too stayed out one lap too long, although at least he was able to keep it on the island before pitting.

Lando will learn from this, although I must say when leading the race and managing the conditions until the second last lap, it was easy to see why he would believe that it would be hard for Hamilton to make up the 25 seconds lost in a pit stop with what remained. If the rain remained steady he would have won. In addition and especially with a young driver, like Mercedes his team should have been insistent.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Lewis once again validates my opinion that he's easily the luckiest athlete I've ever seen. Hit the wall AND spun out within 5 minutes of each other in qualifying, started on the 2nd row, ****ty off the line on Sunday, everyone else came out behind him after slow stops, wanted to stay out but his team made him change tires, rain spins out the leader with 3 laps left.

·
17,521 Posts
Even if Norris hadn't slid off, Hamilton probably would have won, as he was eating up the distance in really huge gobs. Was probably going at least twice as fast. Verstappen was the really lucky one, first of all because it started raining, and because multiple people just slid off the track in front of him.

·
Administrator
16,017 Posts
Lewis once again validates my opinion that he's easily the luckiest athlete I've ever seen. Hit the wall AND spun out within 5 minutes of each other in qualifying, started on the 2nd row, ****ty off the line on Sunday, everyone else came out behind him after slow stops, wanted to stay out but his team made him change tires, rain spins out the leader with 3 laps left.
Lewis drove a sensible race for the WDC, it was not luck. He just had to finish in front of Max, who as I predicted is cracking around the edges and potentially is going to loose this WDC. Max's mistake at Monza was ridiculous; he should have let Lewis stay in front and just slip streamed passed him again later in the lap. So easy at Monza.

This WDC was Max's to loose, and unless he starts to drive with his head he is gifting this one to Lewis. The team should sit him down with Prost or Stewart to help him learn how a WDC is a whole season long not just a few races. Heck a few second places instead of crashes and he would still be leading the WDC!
Pete

·
Registered
495 Posts
Del, Hamilton got close and almost passed Lando when he ran wide. However, after that Lando had pulled out a 1.5 second lead before Hamilton pitted. Catching up in what was clearly the fastest car all weekend is one thing, passing is another!

·
17,521 Posts
Except Norris didn't have intermediates and Hamilton did, and eating him up at the time Norris ran off. He probably would have passed him before the end of the race, the speed differential so great.

Granted, he probably wouldn't have been able to pass him if they had the same tires.

As I mentioned before, it was actually unlucky for Hamilton when it started to rain, as while he did win the race, he was further ahead in points over Verstappen before the rain.

Reactions: nealric

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Surprised by the grip level in the wet over the weekend. Surprised by the tire performance in the wet over the race. Bottas, if only he could be at this level 50%more often.
Still backing Hamilton to win the WDC,
Believe me it kills me to say it, Hamilton is one of the best drivers I have ever seen. His drive through the field was great to watch.

·
Administrator
16,017 Posts
Yes agree on all points. Cream rises to the top and he would not be sitting in the best car on the grid, as their no. 1 driver, if he was not the best. Russell will give him a hard time re speed, but there is more to being the best driver on the grid than mere speed alone.

Ricciardo on the other hand is probably making updates to his CV, unfortunately :(
Pete

301 - 320 of 589 Posts