Alfa Romeo Forums banner
301 - 305 of 305 Posts

·
Administrator
15,258 Posts
I've been reading newspaper headings like "accident almost too scary to watch!!" Like w t f!!!. There are gokart accidents every weekend more dramatic than this, and putting the drivers head and neck at more risk.

F1 cars are light, the weight was not on the rear as the car was tipping forward, yes it is great the halo exists but he was not going to die in this accident, and it is far from a scary accident.

Honestly this world we live in now is so WOKE that even possibly the slowest and most gentle of accidents now generates headlines so out of proportion it is ridiculous. Soon races will be delayed as a mechanic has a paper cut.

The team managers need to stop adding drama trying to get the FIA to aid their drivers WDC position. This is where it comes from, not the actual truth of the situation. Trying to milk a foul
Pete

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,335 Posts
Point taken, but I used to watch F1, CART, NASCAR, etc, when drivers or workers could/did die when accidents/fires happened. That was when I was much younger. Now I value the skillful driving more than seeing accidents.

The most seemingly innocuous accidents can kill. Saw plenty of films of drivers dying from fires, loose wheels, broken pieces of chassis, just about anything, even something seemingly minor. Many safety changes have been made through the decades. Thus load tested chassis, and controls, fuel safety systems, the hans and halo devices, for example. Hardly "woke" activity. BTW, really dislike that coined word "woke".

Saw a pit crew member die up close on TV in a Cart race in Vancouver a few years ago. He was hit by a slowly sliding car and his head was slapped hard to the ground. Just a minor low speed accident, but I still cannot get that out of my mind. Now, later, strong helmets and fire suits for all. Is that being "woke"? Just common sense.

Well, anyway, maybe you are correct, but could have gone either way, by inches in my book. I don't get a kick out of drivers dying, or even getting close. Not my type of thrill. It is said the drivers maybe accept the odds, but I'm willing to bet none of them really want to die in a race.

Peace, and safe driving.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,335 Posts
New from the FIA:

"Formula 1 has released new onboard camera footage of the crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton at Monza. The images clearly show the role of the halo in the crash. Without the halo, Hamilton would have been hit full on head by Verstappen's car"

Yow.

301 - 305 of 305 Posts