Alfa Romeo Forums banner
261 - 280 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Lewis Hamilton believes the non-cancellation was all about money and Ecclestone has agreed with him. Keep in mind that the F3 race was held on Saturday, not Sunday and that F2 didn’t run last weekend. So while there would be no need to refund tickets for Friday or Saturday, Sunday was a washout but for the F1 ’race’. Keep in mind also that race day tickets sell for more money and in higher numbers than tickets for Friday and Saturday.

Furthermore, if F1 cancelled the race, would they have been able to keep all of the megamillions the organizers paid to run a grand prix? I seriously doubt it. So yes, I believe that the decision to run the ridiculous excuse for a race was based solely on financial considerations, even if only to avoid potential litigation. The basis for such litigation is already settled in most jurisidictions based upon lawsuits brought by ticketholders for concerts where the opening act showed up, but the headliner did not. In such cases now, organizers either refund or reschedule. F1 could not reschedule.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Kimi retires!
Can't say we didn't see that coming. It was time, but I'll still miss him in F1. Wonder what's next for him.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I too will miss Kimi. I know there are a lot of Russell fans hoping he goes to Mercedes, but I am not sure he deserves all of the praise yet. Regardless, I will be very happy if Alfa Romeo picks up Bottas. I think Alfa's biggest issue has been the car and not the drivers, and I am hoping that the new car next year makes them more competitive.

·
Administrator
15,258 Posts
While I don't consider the Alfa Romeo team to be an actual Alfa Romeo team, I do hope Bottas doesn't go there. He has been tried and proven wanting. He reminds me of a Berger, who was randomly amazing on some days but most of the time just going around and around, and just like Bottas when the race goes against him he is unable to recover, and all of a sudden the fastest car on the grid by some margin is stuck behind a Williams. Utterly amazing.

Some drivers need the race to come to them, good drivers make the race come to them
Pete

·
Registered
364 Posts
Pete, I agree with everything you say about Bottas except this: he is a terrific qualifier who is sometimes faster than Hamilton, one of the truly great drivers over a single lap. That alone will be a great benchmark for whatever presumably young driver they put in the second seat.

·
Administrator
15,258 Posts
Pete, I agree with everything you say about Bottas except this: he is a terrific qualifier who is sometimes faster than Hamilton, one of the truly great drivers over a single lap. That alone will be a great benchmark for whatever presumably young driver they put in the second seat.
True. My father suggested just the other day that Bottas should enter hill climb championships because, as you say, he is great over a single lap
Pete

·
Administrator
15,258 Posts
Gosh how I love a real track like Zandvoort, and finally Riccardo out qualifies Lando, who had an untypically poor qualifying. Unfortunately Riccardo's Q3 lap wasn't a good one.

So excited, considering getting up to watch live ...
Pete

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Yes, and I am happy for Giovinazzi. It would certainly boost his chances to stick with the team if he can score points in some of the remaining races this season.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I think this will be good for him as well as for Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Pete, I still think he will provide a good standard for whatever young driver he is teamed with. In addition, he seems quite good at setting up a car as he is often faster than Hamilton over FP1 & 2, until data sharing prior to qualification allows each driver to assess where gains can be made.

Clearly not a great racer, what skills he does possess and his experience should benefit Alfa Romeo over Kimi who, by his own admission, had only continued racing in F1 this year as a ‘hobby.’ I expect that Giovanizzi will be replaced as until qualifying this past weekend, he has shown little better than an unmotivated Raikonen.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I expect Giovanizzi will be out next year. He managed to prove the car is reasonably quick in qualifying, and further proved he cannot drive it in a race.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
So Russell confirmed. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Hamilton is at an age traditionally drivers start to slow. Russell would have been signed as wingman but qualifying will be interesting. Mercedes should be mentioned for bringing in a new talent.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
So Russell confirmed. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Hamilton is at an age traditionally drivers start to slow. Russell would have been signed as wingman but qualifying will be interesting. Mercedes should be mentioned for bringing in a new talent.
Inevitable wasn't it after that stand-in race he did. Although I guess that just proved what Mercedes knew anyway. He's fast.

Reactions: alfettaparts2

·
Administrator
15,258 Posts
I just CANNOT wait until Russell out qualifies Lewis, or refuses to play the team game during qualifying ... I will literately roll around my living room flooring crying with laughter. The icing on the cake is when he tells Toto to "Go swivel"

Lewis is amazing, don't get me wrong, but as we can see with Alonso still to this day, Alonso does have great race craft, and Lewis would have been even more amazing if he had been mature and listened to him. He was only so fast because Alonso, in 2007, was sharing car setup information and being a team player. In the end Lewis caused McLaren to give the WDC to Kimi, so didn't win it anyway, but Alonso would have, so +1 for McLaren and also I reckon Lewis would be like a Stirling Moss now, utterly unbeatable, which he is not

Pete

261 - 280 of 305 Posts