Alfa Romeo Forums banner
241 - 260 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Pete, couldn’t agree more about watching the rest of the season. However, it seems that Mercedes are now back on top and Verstappen has to be aggressive if he is to have any chance to win the WDC.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wow, what a qualifying. If there was any doubt whether Russell could challenge Hamilton in an equal car before, there isn’t now! He outqualifies him in a Williams, having only one lap rather than Hamilton’s two in Q3 to get it done. If Mercedes chooses to retain Bottas, it can only be in order to keep Hamilton happy and his reputation as the possible GOAT intact.

While it is doubtful that Russell can at this stage of his career, especially as a number two driver, beat Hamilton over the course of a full season, I suspect that it would be a battle worth watching.

·
Registered
373 Posts
So is Verstappen and he also put in an excellent lap with the pressure on. Make no mistake, the Mercedes has had much better race pace than the Red Bull all weekend, so I expect that Hamilton will overcome his less than stellar qualifying performance, especially if there are dry periods in the race.

In terms of Russell’s performance, it isn’t just one good lap - dragging that car regularly into Q2 and Q3 occasionally and being in a position to battle Alonso in one race and to attempt a pass on Bottas in another all speak to his incredible talent.

·
Administrator
15,392 Posts
So they got 1/2 points as the race was aborted less than half distance, but it was not really started ... strange.

In regards to Russell, sometimes he is bettered by his team mate, lap time wise, which really surprises me. Maybe he was testing a full fuel load or something. Lando on the other hand is always very fast, but we do have to remember that Alonso made Lando look very average. I surmise then that if Riccardo could just adapt he would be annoying the RedBulls and Mercedes teams. It must be difficult but it worries me that he has not made any gains here yet

I also have a problem with Lando getting a grip penalty because he needed to have his gearbox replaced. This is not F1 and needs to go. The organisers caused that accident by not aborting qualifying!
Pete

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lando is an exceptional talent, but pushing that hard on his first lap was a mistake and he acknowleged it after qualifying. Still, I’d rather see someone who is real racer - and Lando is - even if it occasionally means he exceeds the limits. As to Russell, he has outqualified hs team mate in every race at Williams - often by a substantial margin.

Riccardo is also proving to be a mystery to me. When on his game, he has always been very fast with exceptional racecraft. Yes, it speaks to Lando’s talent - but the gap is just too large for that to be the sole reason. I suspect that he initially had a hard time adjusting to the McLaren, but now he seems to be mired in a confidence crisis. And lets face it, you have to be confident in both yourself and your car to be competitive in F1.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I agree. I am not sure how they can justify even awarding half points for driving 4 laps in formation behind the safety car. I presume postponing the race until tomorrow was not practical, but the whole thing seemed ridiculous to me.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Interesting to read some articles to come out of the Belgium Gp. Worse than the farce that was the Indy Gp all those years ago. I can't understand how they justify points. I know humans cant stop the rain (or really shouldn't) but seriously? Anyway another race this weekend, and the one after I believe.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Utter travesty.

·
Administrator
15,392 Posts
Many years ago my sister, a friend and I went to the Australian GP, back when it was at the awesome Adelaide track. On race day it hosed down in typical Australian fashion, i.e. very hard BUT NOT FOR LONG. Every local person we spoke to said in 1/2 to 1 hours time it will be fine again. Because of stupid TV schedules they did not delay the race long enough and it was started and after a few crashes and Senna pleading they stopped the race. As we were walking out of the venue it was beautiful hot sunny day again, just as the locals said.

F1 needs to understand that TV is important, but they should not be handcuffed by their schedules. Other sports such as cricket cancel play without being butt hurt by the TV companies. Now Bernie has oh so thankfully gone, F1 needs to mature in how it works with TV companies and put the sport FIRST and the show SECOND.

Every F1 fan in the world would prefer to watch a delayed broadcast, or even for there to be no broadcast, than to have what happened at Spa.

Come on F1, without Bernie, you can make rational decisions that benefit the sport, not just Bernie's wallet
Pete

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Pete they literally ran out of time, as in day light hours. I don't think it had anything to do with TV schedules. Maybe they could have turned up on Monday but F1 just don't do that, unlike Indy. It was to wet to race, what I cant understand in how points were gifted for three or four laps behinds a safety car. Essentially points were awarded for qualifying.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The ‘race’ had to proceed because cancellation would have required the organizers to refund tickets for the event. Once a decision was made to ‘race’ under the safety car ( with no passing allowed ), they had to award points. A business decision, pure and simple.

Of course, it is unsurprising and tends to confirm that F1 is no longer a ‘sport’ in any true sense of the word. Rules have been put in place, since Ecclestones’s initial Concorde agreement, for the precise purpose of stifling competition and ensuring that the major players in F1 can no longer be challenged by smaller outfits such as Jordan and Benetton. In a sort of ‘Robin Hood on acid’ approach, substantial sums are awarded each year to the major teams based upon success over the last decade, just for showing up.

Even if a relatively new team becomes dominant for a season, they will receive much less appearance money for the following season than the established teams that they beat. It is robbing from the poor to give to the rich and ensures that the established hierarchy have much more resources to hire the best drivers ( which are not included in budget caps). It would be akin to the English Premiere League giving an award to the most popular teams such as Manchester United, just for showing up, regardless of how they perform.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The ‘race’ had to proceed because cancellation would have required the organizers to refund tickets for the event. Once a decision was made to ‘race’ under the safety car ( with no passing allowed ), they had to award points. A business decision, pure and simple.

Of course, it is unsurprising and tends to confirm that F1 is no longer a ‘sport’ in any true sense of the word. Rules have been put in place, since Ecclestones’s initial Concorde agreement, for the precise purpose of stifling competition and ensuring that the major players in F1 can no longer be challenged by smaller outfits such as Jordan and Benetton. In a sort of ‘Robin Hood on acid’ approach, substantial sums are awarded each year to the major teams based upon success over the last decade, just for showing up.

Even if a relatively new team becomes dominant for a season, they will receive much less appearance money for the following season than the established teams that they beat. It is robbing from the poor to give to the rich and ensures that the established hierarchy have much more resources to hire the best drivers ( which are not included in budget caps). It would be akin to the English Premiere League giving an award to the most popular teams such as Manchester United, just for showing up, regardless of how they perform.
Do you think that's why they called the crap show a race? So they didn't have to refund tickets. Man I thought I was cynical. If there wasn't a 'race' would they refund tickets? Did the f3 or f2 race? I'm just trying to think what would happen here if the gp was washed out. I doubt if there would be a refund because the f1 is only part of the event. Please don't take that the wrong way, I would be interested to know the facts about refunds if the cars didn't hit the track. The facts, not some cynical speculation that we all have when we express our opinion.

·
Administrator
15,392 Posts
See this is where Bernie got it all wrong, due to his greed, F1 should PAY the track to race there not the other way around. Then they could refund, improve facilities and so on, instead they have to pay huge amounts ... and Bernie is a multi billionaire.

Bernie has gone, time to change this around except the teams won't like it because there are some people on these teams, that aren't really required that, are now millionaires ... God you can just see the conversation he had with the team owners, "we can become rich guys", he he he rubbing his evil hands together

But I don't know the refund rules
Pete

241 - 260 of 320 Posts