Alfa Romeo Forums banner
221 - 240 of 305 Posts

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,359 Posts
It's interesting to watch the video at that corner. Lewis is actually halfway along side Max as they approach the corner, then Lewis starts to brake just a little maybe, falling back to where his left front tire is close to Max's right rear, or at least he might have let off the gas a little. Maybe then he thought, bullsh**, I'm not letting Max use his elbows again to make me fall back as he has done in the past a few times to others and him. Max is most likely used to Lewis backing off, letting him have the corner, and started to move toward the apex as he has done in the past. Except, Lewis is still there. Oops.

If blame is to be assigned, I think Lewis had had enough of Max's wide elbows and said screw it, I'm in this, and Max just assumed he had pushed Lewis out of the way again. Max should have been paying more attention instead just assuming he had forced Lewis back again.

Lol, reminds me of races in the past with Schumacher and his very wide very sharp elbows and take no prisoner attitude toward other drivers.

·
17,359 Posts
It is also interesting that the rules do not require that the apex must be hit by a car in a corner, and also that the inside car needn't be ahead, just substantially along side the other car. This Lewis was, as his left front tire had been ahead and inside the right rear of Max's car, until he started to pull back a little.

Looks like Max, et al, in his aggressiveness, forgot the implied rules pertaining to overtaking as defined by the FIA. It is recorded that Lewis did make the same apparently legal maneuver a couple of times later in the race and no collisions occurred due to the alertness of the driver being overtaken.

Just thoughts.

·
Administrator
15,278 Posts
IMO Lewis did not pull back, Max braked later.

But yes Max was being very aggressive as he needs to be. In the end it cost him 20 points ... should go and have a chat to Prost and Stewart
Pete

·
17,359 Posts
Well, if Max braked later, that implies that Lewis braked first, ie, pulled back. But anyway...

·
Registered
365 Posts
The rules specify that Max and Lewis had to give each other sufficient space to make the corner. Lewis was given sufficient space on the inside to make the corner if he had made the apex and if he had made the apex ( as he did in his pass of Leclerc ) there would have been no contact. That is why Lewis was penalized according to the stewards.

Did Max brake later than Lewis and was he going faster at the point of contact? Of course, as he was on the racing line whereas Lewis forced himself into having to make a much sharper turn and to brake and turn on a more slippery part of the track where cars don’t typically run coming into that corner.

Could Max have anticipated Lewis running wide and therefore himself run wide and offline through the corner? Sure, but once he did so he was also apt to run himself off the track ( as Leclerc did ). A split second decision but one which he likely now regrets as, if he had moved over to allow an understeering Lewis to get past him, if Lewis had continued to understeer and been seen to force him off the track, Lewis would have been penalized anyway and the collision avoided.

Remember, on Lewis pass of Leclerc he made the apex. Lewis was not understeering and running wide and, as his car had much more grip at that point than Leclerc’s, he didn’t have to.

In the end, I agree that Max has some responsiblity - as Alonso said, Max had to realize that Lewis’s car was not going to just disappear. Run wide, avoid the collision and carry on to fight it out later. Nevertheless, I also agree with the British stewards decision that in the final analysis, Lewis caused the collision. Did Lewis intend to drive Max off the track? Of course not. However as Danny Ric said, Lewis simply went into the corner “too hot” and Max did nothing to avoid him.

·
17,359 Posts
I guess you could see it that way, but you might notice that Lewis wasn't going as fast as Max, having slowed a little in comparison, moving backwards along side Max before the tires met, and there is no evidence that I can see that Lewis was understeering at that point. Max couldn't have hit the apex either, being where he was, with his speed, and had given Lewis room to make the opportunity to move in on the inside. Having watched F1 since the 60's, on TV and live, I tend to consider it a racing incident, actually mild in some respects compared to what I've seen in years past.

It is very sad what happened with Lewis after the race with the racist rants directed toward him. I suspect that is part of what makes up the dislike of Lewis by some. And at the same time, there are also those who tend to dislike continual winners, wishing for someone else to take over. I see Lewis as just another driver, displaying no more of so-called dirty racing than most other drivers, as seen from my own knothole through the decades.

I do think that Max can win the championship this year unless Mercedes can further improve their car. Although I also suspect that Lewis was probably a little faster overall in this last race, and would have been able to finally get past Max and drive away, as he seems to be able to do towards the end of races, and also Mercedes having improved the car some.

·
Administrator
15,278 Posts
Lewis is on his way to yet another WDC. In the media discussions it became apparent, potentially only to me, that Max is rattled. Lewis only had to bump him off once and he caved ... now add the bad luck from the last race, and it's all over

Pete

·
17,359 Posts
You may be correct, but I wouldn't write off Max just yet, esp if Honda can find a few more ponies in their engines. Max sure has fast starts. If he is on the first row behind Lewis, he is often likely to beat Lewis to the first corner. Have to admit though, the Mercedes looked pretty darn fast in that race.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Max isn’t rattled, just tired of being driven off the track and damaged by out of control Mercedes - lol. And nice to see Alonso, a true racer, getting into Hamilton’s head!

·
17,359 Posts
In life, and competition, stuff happens. Other drivers screw up as well. Through the decades, I've seen the very best have a very bad day.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I wouldn't agree that max is rattled, the little media outburst he had is probably more related to his maturity. The start crash was unfortunate however it was still a great race. I certainly don't go for the conspiracy that Bottas crashed on purpose, that sort of thinking is just next level as far as I'm concerned. I think I heard a stat that this was the only time he has retired on the first lap of a GP? What the accident had done is further stretch Hondas resources and, as I have said before, I think it will be Honda that will cost Red Bull the championship. They are running out of engines and gearbox's.
Having said that, start of the year I put money on Ferrari to win the constructors so what the hell do I know :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
365 Posts
No conspiracy, to be sure, but Bottas is under pressure to keep his job as Hamilton’s wingman and clearly panicked and overdrove the car after allowing Verstappen and Norris ( who also leads him in the standings ) past him at the start. After qualifying on the front row, his job was to hold up Verstappen as long as he could on a track where it is difficult to pass. Once he had failed miserably at that, he did by accident do the next best thing!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Really, the problem with F1 is with the penalties ( or the relative lack thereof ) that they impose. They say we don’t take into account the results, whereas the laws of every country do: accidentally fire a gun and hit no no one and you will be charged with careless use of a firearm; hit and kill someone, manslaughter. Intentionally shoot a gun at someone and miss, attempted murder at the worst (although absent clear proof of intent to kill, only careless use or assault with a weapon). Hit and kill them, murder. In either case, the penalties are dramatically different.

Bottas drove into the corner like a bowling ball! Unlike Stroll, he wasn’t even attempting a pass as he was on exactly the same line as Norris. His actions were indefensible and the consequences as extreme as they could be, short of seriously injuring or killing another driver. To the benefit of his teamate, he eliminated two of the three top drivers in the championship standings. And for that he gets a five place grid penalty. Red Bull ( and McLaren ) have a right to complain. And if Hamilton and Mercedes go on to win the driver‘s and constructor‘s championships by a relatively narrow margin, it will be terrible for the sport!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hungary has brought us some of the most boring races in F1 and just occasionally a very interesting one like this. Well done to the lad Ocon who is undoubtedly a fine driver, held off Vettel with skill and patience and made no mistake. He may now be guaranteed free restaurant meals anywhere in France for the rest of his life.

Alonso's skill in holding off Hamilton was good to watch. Using every last bit of the track and the rulebook with both drivers giving it their all. Maybe driver of the day. Hamilton looking quite exhausted at the end and apparently carted off to doctors with self diagnosed long covid, will be interesting to see how that develops as apart from symptoms it is difficult to diagnose.

Bad misjudgment by Bottas (and Stroll) in the wet but nothing deliberate in it I am sure.

And now poor Vettel disqualified afterwards due to probable team snafu

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
One of my fav GP this weekend. Not so much for the racing but rather the fact its a track that you can really use the potential of an F1 car. Due for a wet weekend. Anyone game to make a prediction. I think Merc will come out strong after the break and really be dominant for the second half of the season.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You may be right, however I suspect that Verstappen will still win some races. To win the driver’s title he will, however, need luck to shift from Hamilton to himself on a couple of occasions - a Hamilton dnf while he scores a victory. I don’t think it’s over yet.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I don’t think it’s over yet.
I hope not. I don't want Merc to win everything. Would love to see some of the other teams taking points away from Merc and RedBull.
How long since there has been an old fashioned engine blow up in F1, with bellowing smoke, flames and conrods on the track.
Not familiar with this website but this link takes you to a chart with all the engine/gearbox usage by team this year. Its worth keeping an eye on.

·
Administrator
15,278 Posts
I still think Verstappin is a little rattled now. Hamilton did a perfect Senna intimidation move, at Silverstone, and now when Verstappin thinks about passing he will also think about throwing it all away and getting no points again

Has he got the courage to have another go, especially now that he is trailing in points ... again
Pete

221 - 240 of 305 Posts