Alfa Romeo Forums banner
181 - 200 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Yeah but he doesn't want to be the No. 2, which is where he is at the moment. But yes good race pace ... what the heck is going in qualifying?
Pete
On qualifying pace yes, but on race pace he's at least as good. Which translates to development which is very valuable when a team is rebuilding like McLaren. Overall he is the better driver, just needs to get his head sorted for qualifying.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You are amateurs! In Italy the last three governments have practically elected themselves! :mad:☠☠☠☠☠
The standing joke in many parts of the world is that it doesn't matter who the government is in Italy because they don't run the place.....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Just read an interesting article. DR saying he is struggling with the turn in of the car, especially the turn in under brakes. Having done a couple of track days in the 147 I can relate to struggling with turn in LOL. He gives full credit to LN.
Also suggestions VB might be off to replace KR at alfa next year. If I was VB I could think of worse places to go.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I’m a big fan of DR, but I have to say that until this last race, his race pace has also been off the pace of LN, albeit nowhere near as much as in qualifying. I worry we are seeing the DR we saw after Monaco in his final year at Red Bull, when Verstappen started to dominate him. Not being able to best his team mate, he seems to lose confidence.

That being said, a good performance or two could turn it all around for him if it is, in fact, psychological at this point. I have my fingers crossed!

·
Administrator
14,965 Posts
Btw, flame suit on, I'm not upset about loosing the Melbourne GP; rubbish track that has never ever had a good race on it. Designed to ensure high speed corners one after the other so passing is impossible.

Now Adelaide, wow that was THE track.

So Melbourne either upgrade Phillip Island or let it go somewhere where the fans can enjoy a race
Pete

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Albert park isn’t the best for racing however this might also be highlighted by the fact it’s usually the first race of the season. It is a lovely location for a race and no doubt looks good on the television.

The race won’t be going back to Adelaide and Phillip island is just not logistically suitable for so many reasons it will never happen.

I was about 18 when the gp came to Melbourne, my girlfriends father was furious. His suggestion was hold it at Essendon airport, remember Portland? Good idea at the time but Essendon airport is pretty busy now days.
If only someone had built a purpose facility at Avalon some 15 years ago. Australia the backward country.

·
Administrator
14,965 Posts
I admit the location is good. Been to it twice. Both times the race was ****, as was every other race because even a V8Supercar cannot pass there.

While the event is not happening this year, get the bulldozers in and make a proper straight finishing in a slow hairpin with a slow exit. That is what promotes passing. The whole back side of the track (opposite side to the start finish line) is curve after curve ... who designed it, a clothes fashion designer?

I saw they were going to make changes, but the changes were all wrong.

If Melbourne does not actually understand motorsport, come on let it go. There are plenty of other places in Australia that get it. Concentrate on the excellent tennis grand slam event.

EDIT: I admit I was too harsh with my last sentence; just really, really, really dislike the track. /EDIT
Pete

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Pete - unfortunately as much as we all loved Adelaide the cars have long since outgrown that track. If it was Monaco it could be excused but otherwise, we all cherish the memories. The Island is a great circuit for MotoGP but it would need to be completely rebuilt for F1 and that'd kill it for the rest of us. Then there's the question of access and the penguins. So no, that's not a goer either.

But for the uneducated, this is what it looks like from the air. One of the worlds great circuits.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Tribute to Carlos Reutemann, “a fighter to the end,” after his death at the age of 79.
The Argentinian won 12 grands prix in an impressive career that saw him race for Brabham, Ferrari, Lotus and Williams, just missing out on winning the drivers’ championship for the latter in 1981.

As well as finishing runner-up to Nelson Piquet in 1981 — a year where he was leading the championship heading into the final round — Reutemann finished third in the standings on three occasions, with Mario Andretti saying he was good enough to win the title.
“So sad to learn of the passing of Carlos Reutemann,” Andretti said. “‘Lole’ was definitely an uncrowned F1 champion. I know how good he was especially as my teammate at Lotus.”

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yes rip Carlos.
Phillip island, the track itself is fantastic. Probably a little fast for f1. I would imagine a f1 would get around there under 1.20 and that’s crazy. It’s the location and access that’s the problem. There would be a week long traffic jam trying to get home. The island is significantly protected from development.

Not sure who was responsible for the track changes at Albert park. F1 or us?
It’s a beautiful track to drive on.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Phillip Island is, as you say, one of the worlds great circuits, and I believe, one of Australia's oldest

Pete
The original Armstrong 500, precursor to Bathurst, was run on the public roads. The circuit was built later and closed for several years before 1989 when PIARC reopened it with a nice new surface and only one significant change, at MG which was shortened and you can still see the old track there today. Anyway, the Alfa club was the first club to hire it after it reopened and I had the good fortune of following Frank Porter around, him in a white automatic 75 and me in my Alfetta GT. His lines are etched in my mind to this day. It’d be nice to get back there again one day.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Being reported that Bottas won't be with Mercedes next year (alfa maybe?). Enter George Russel. Of course with Hamilton signing a new two year deal Russel will take number two status however If Russel is quicker than Hamilton.....
One driver at the end of their career, another at the start. Interesting to see how that unfolds.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Wow that is fantastic!

·
Premium Member
312 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Here's a bit of what Racer.com reported:

Alfa Romeo will remain the team name of Sauber for the foreseeable future after the signing of a multi-year extension that includes “yearly assessments” of the partnership.

Sauber was renamed Alfa Romeo in 2018 and in its first season the team gave Charles Leclerc his Formula 1 debut before boasting a line-up of Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi since then. Alfa Romeo’s previous deal was set to expire at the end of this season but with the introduction of a budget cap next year and the chance of better opportunities the Italian brand will stay in the sport, something team principal Frederic Vasseur is particularly happy about.

Mike

Reactions: RedAlfa91

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
I find it interesting that many commentators and news stories refer to the Alfa F1 team as "really" being the Sauber team.

Was Toro Rosso really Minardi? is Alpha Tauri really Minardi?

Take the invincible Teutonic Mercedes team; is it really Tyrrell, or BAR, or Honda, or Brawn GP - or all of the above?

:oops:

·
Administrator
14,965 Posts
Alfa Romeo does not own the Sauber team, they are just the naming rights sponsor. Mercedes bought whoever it was before, same with Toro Rosso, etc.

Its nice and all that the name Alfa Romeo is going round in F1 circles again, but it is not Alfa Romeo the manufacturer racing ... just like Dell Technologies is hardly building the McLaren F1 cars
Pete

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It is one of the aspects of modern racing I do not like, the badge on the car isn't necessarily representative of the manufacture, or indeed in the case of saloon cars, in any way comparable to whats on the show room floor. Those days past decades ago. Bob Dylan's Union Sunrise comes to mind. I no longer pay attention to the branding and just try and enjoy.

181 - 200 of 227 Posts