Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go; not the best way to start the season, obviously a necessary move:

"This weekend’s season-opening Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne has been cancelled. The news follows McLaren’s withdrawal from the race on Thursday, after one of their team members tested positive for the coronavirus.

A statement issued jointly by F1, governing body the FIA and the Australian Grand Prix Corporation read: "Following the confirmation that a member of the McLaren Racing Team has tested positive for COVID-19 and the team’s decision to withdraw from the Australian Grand Prix, Formula 1 and the FIA convened a meeting of the other nine team principals on Thursday evening. Those discussions concluded with a majority view of the teams that the race should not go ahead.

"Formula 1 and the FIA, with the full support of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) have therefore taken the decision that all Formula 1 activity for the Australian Grand Prix are cancelled.

"We appreciate this is very disappointing news for the thousands of fans due to attend the race and all ticket holders will receive a full refund and a further announcement will be communicated in due course.

"All parties took into consideration the huge efforts of the AGPC, Motorsport Australia, staff and volunteers to stage the opening round of the 2020 FIA Formula One World Championship in Melbourne, however concluded that the safety of all members of the Formula 1 family and the wider community, as well as the fairness of the competition take priority.""

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and now this:

Following the cancellation of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix and the postponement of the races in China, Bahrain and Vietnam, Formula 1 and governing body the FIA have said they now 'expect' the 2020 season to begin at the end of May - though this will be regularly reviewed.

The outbreak of COVID-19 forced the Chinese round of the calender to be postponed last month. Then on Thursday, the opening race of the season in Melbourne was also called off, after a McLaren team member tested positive for the virus.

Today, the Bahrain Grand Prix, which was due to take place next weekend, and the first ever Vietnam Grand Prix, scheduled for the beginning of April, have also been postponed.

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
gptoday.com:

"Mercedes motorsport chief Toto Wolff and Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll have struck a deal to purchase 51% of Ferrari and at the same time tapped up their friend Roger Penske to buy Formula 1"

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
You had me going until I realized what day of the year this is.

I guess what tipped me off that this is a joke was the paragraph that read:

Stroll senior is unlikely to oust hot property Charles Leclerc who has settled well into the team .... one would expect Lance Stroll to step in as teammate to the Monaco Kid.

The idea of Lance Stroll driving for Ferrari - at least at this point in his career - pushed it over the edge.

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
I thought it great, lol. Somebody still has sense of humor in this period/time of weirdness.

·
Administrator
12,536 Posts
Thankfully Ferrari have come to their senses and booted Vettel out. Unfortunately we and they have to endure the rest of whatever 2020 season has to offer, and further Vettel mistakes
Pete

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
And I read that both Chevrolet and Porsche have pulled out of Le Mans GT classes, and that the whole race, which was postponed until September, may now be cancelled.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Vettel had his chance and blew it over the last 3 seasons. And last seasons form only highlighted that with Leclerc outshining him, I'm not surprised.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Statement from Vettel:

“My relationship with Scuderia Ferrari will finish at the end of 2020. In order to get the best possible results in this sport, it’s vital for all parties to work in perfect harmony. The team and I have realised that there is no longer a common desire to stay together beyond the end of this season. Financial matters have played no part in this joint decision. That’s not the way I think when it comes to making certain choices and it never will be.

What’s been happening in these past few months has led many of us to reflect on what are our real priorities in life. One needs to use one’s imagination and to adopt a new approach to a situation that has changed. I myself will take the time I need to reflect on what really matters when it comes to my future.

Scuderia Ferrari occupies a special place in Formula 1 and I hope it gets all the success it deserves. Finally, I want to thank the whole Ferrari family and above all its “tifosi” all around the world, for the support they have given me over the years. My immediate goal is to finish my long stint with Ferrari, in the hope of sharing some more beautiful moments together, to add to all those we have enjoyed so far.”

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
No place for him to go either, if rumor that Alonso will take Ricciardo's seat at Renault is true. Red Bull or Mercedes don't need him. Makes no sense for any of these teams to pair him with their favored driver.

Any other race series he is interested in?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sainz to Ferrari, Ricciardo to McClaren both good moves for them and will be interesting to see how Sainz goes in a decent car. Youngest ever Ferrari F1 pairing. McClaren slated to have a better car next year too so would be nice to see Ricciardo pulling some of his late brake moves.

Spare seat at Renault with possibility of Alonso return as suggested above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts