Alfa Romeo Forums banner
361 - 380 of 407 Posts

· Administrator
18,507 Posts
Considering dropping F1 from my watching list. The FIA have moved into a "we want F1 to be popular" rather than making the correct decision. Basically they are ensuring their employment to the detriment of the sport. The same BS has inflicted politics ... sadly
Pete

· Registered
768 Posts
Agreed. Another example was the 10 second penalty to Ricciardo today, rather than the almost universal 5 second penalty. Especially strange since he had left more than enough room on the outside for Tsunoda to make the corner, if he had seen him. Of course, at the time they gave him 10 seconds, it looked as if that would be enough to keep him behind Ocon and Alonso - and it so nearly was.

Some complained that the penalty the FIA initially imposed on Alonso at COTA was in order to favour a British driver ( Noriris ) in a British car ( McLaren ) over a Spanish driver in a French car in their close battle for 4th place in the constructor’s championship. Was this an effort to counter that suggestion and favour Alpine over Mclaren? Or was the Alonso penalty at COTA just an effort at an American track to favor the protest of an American team ( Haas ) that had felt umfairly treated by rulings earlier in the year? I know, these sound like crazy conspiracy theories, but after their unprecedented decision last year to allow only certain cars to unlap themsleves and virtually hand the world championship to Verstappen over Hamilton, what can they expect?

And speaking of Alonso, he truly gets nothing but bad luck. Clearly best of the rest in a comfortable 7th place when he suffered a drop in power and then his third engine failure in the last four races. In the only other race ( COTA ) he suffered a grid penalty and he will no doubt be looking at the same in Brazil for yet another power unit. Does anyone else think the Alpine’s lack of reliability, so frustrating for any driver, was one of the reasons he is abandoning Alpine for Aston Martin next season?

Nice to see the Bottas Alfa showing great pace in qualifying this weekend - although typical of Bottas, he is a much better at qualifying than he is in the wheel to wheel battles during a race.

Finally, just got another idea for a new Formula1 motto: If you like the WWF, you’ll love F1!

· Administrator
18,507 Posts
Alonso left Alpine for Aston Martin due reliability reasons I believe

BTW1: Good to see Ricciardo bag a decent result
BTW2: Funny reading that Max is getting upset with the press comments about 2021 WDC result. Unfortunate but this will never end. I think he needs to accept and acknowledge the situation
Pete

· Registered
768 Posts
Pete, I fully understand why Verstappen is frustrated being asked/attacked about a decision/result last year that was not his fault. If the British press want to continue to moan about it in perpetuity, so be it. However, surely their questions and their attacks should be aimed at Michael Masi, the former race director who made the decision, or at Christian Horner, who encouraged the decision, or at the FIA, who upheld it. Why are they attempting to sully Verstappen’s reputation and to take away from his marvelous achievements this year when he bears no responsibility?

· Administrator
18,507 Posts
Pete, I fully understand why Verstappen is frustrated being asked/attacked about a decision/result last year that was not his fault. If the British press want to continue to moan about it in perpetuity, so be it. However, surely their questions and their attacks should be aimed at Michael Masi, the former race director who made the decision, or at Christian Horner, who encouraged the decision, or at the FIA, who upheld it. Why are they attempting to sully Verstappen’s reputation and to take away from his marvelous achievements this year when he bears no responsibility?
Yes I accept you are right, but it is just going to happen. If I was Max I would reply by saying "Well I just bagged a 110% real one, so your next question please"

Unfortunately Masi is in hiding and yes I hope they are giving Horner a hard time as he really won that WDC. Imagine if Horner was a second hand car dealer ... gee whiz, he could sell anything :)
Pete

· Registered
768 Posts
Nice to see Russel get his first win - he was on great form all weekend. Just when I was developing more respect for Verstappen, he behaves like a petulant child in refusing to give a position back to Perez that meant nothing to him. Blatantly refusing to follow team orders when the team wants a 1,2 finish in the driver’s standings - something, as Horner pointed out, that they have never achieved before.

I thought Alonso’s drive was even better than Hamilton’s admittedly impressive comeback from his spin. He rejoined three paces in front of Alonso who drove back to 5th— still only 3 places behind Hamilton while in a much slower car. It was also nice to see Alonso hold off Verstappen over the last five laps, especially as it allowed us to see Verstappen’s true colours, as he would not have been asked to give his place back to Perez if he had passed Alonso.

· Registered
768 Posts
Great track, indeed! Not sure re: Hamilton. They were told they could race and once Hamilton got within DRS range, Russel put out the fastest lap - twice. A win for Hamilton would have kept his streak alive for one win every season, so it was important to him too. Both were on soft tires and Russel was faster than Lewis in qualifying and the sprint race. Unfortunately for Lewis, it was the first weekend since the summer break that Russel was quicker than him.

· Registered
3,246 Posts
For those of you who can watch these live, how do you stand that announcer who SHOUTS THE ENTIRE TIME, AND FORCES TOO MANY WORDSINNOTENOUGHSPACE?? I could watch with no sound, but that guy ruins it. Artificial, manufactured tension.

For me, it's disappointing to see Ferrari start this season with such a quick car and a good chance to be the top team, and then through bad luck (or incompetence?) let it piddle away.

On that same note, impressive to see the engineering and technical effort by Mercedes over the season to develop essentially a dog into a race-winning car. Hats off to them (and their budget).

· Registered
768 Posts
Pete, I too don’t hold my breath for Ferrari to change. However, this year has been one example of bad strategy after another and not just a bad strategic decision in the final race of a season to cost Alonso a title. We have also seen Leclerc make numerous mistakes - virtually a mirror of Vettel in his last chance at a title with Ferrari. The combination of both has been frustrating for not just the tifosi, but fans of Italian cars in general. But surely even Ferrari and Leclerc can learn somerhing from their mistakes.

And yes, the pro-British bias of the Sky Sports broadcasters is tiresome, to say the least. They spent well over an hour celebrating Russel’s first win, but only a fraction of that covering the first wins of Gasly and Ocon in inferior cars, over the last couple of years. But hey, they are a British broadcaster and we can always turn off the sound, if we can no longer handle it.

I, for one, am at least encouraged at the realistic 8prospect of three teams fighting for next year’s championship.

· Premium Member
1,047 Posts

· Registered
3,246 Posts
We have also seen Leclerc make numerous mistakes - virtually a mirror of Vettel in his last chance at a title with Ferrari. The combination of both has been frustrating for not just the tifosi, but fans of Italian cars in general.
Agreed.

What I don't get is did Ferrari get slower, which is inexplicable, or did RB and Merc catch up?

· Administrator
18,507 Posts
Agreed.

What I don't get is did Ferrari get slower, which is inexplicable, or did RB and Merc catch up?
Common Ferrari issue. Either means their cars have already peaked or they have run out of ideas, OR the other teams were a little lost/off pace

Pete

· Administrator
18,507 Posts
Binotto was quoted yesterday on planetf1 as saying that Ferrari spent so much initially on the car that they had no money left within the cap for mid/late season upgrades.
Need to poach the RedBull accountant ... ;)

Pete

· Registered
13 Posts
For those of you who can watch these live, how do you stand that announcer who SHOUTS THE ENTIRE TIME, AND FORCES TOO MANY WORDSINNOTENOUGHSPACE?? I could watch with no sound, but that guy ruins it. Artificial, manufactured tension.
I've been watching delayed in the F1 app. Starting to like the announcers there.

361 - 380 of 407 Posts