Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Ferrari cars seem to be not fast enough yet, dont think its the drivers, rather the cars not competitive yet. Alfa at their heels, maybe they overtake this year?

G.
Agree Ferrari are slow, but Vettel is too. A brand new team mate was held back from passing him ... always been out paced by his team mates, and yet Ferrari/sponsors pay him ridiculous $'s.

Pete

·
Registered
322 Posts
While I agree Vettel may not be as fast as he was, he did win four driver's championships. He was never bested by a teammate then. And very off topic, Pete, we are all saddened at the tragedy in New Zealand.
Dave

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
While I agree Vettel may not be as fast as he was, he did win four driver's championships. He was never bested by a teammate then.
Vettel won 4 WDC's because he was sitting in by far the best car on the grid, and you are forgetting that Webber nearly beat him one year. Do you rate Webber? I consider Webber actually very fast but unfortunately a poor racer.

Yes even M. Schumacher lost races and was occasionally out qualified, but it was a very rare thing. Vettel and Webber battled, and if it was not for RB favouring Vettel, Webber would likely have a WDC or 2, but they obviously invoked team preference/orders.

Part of racing is being in the right place at the right time. Vettel sat in a RB at exactly the right time. Just about any driver on the grid could have won those 4 WDC's (maybe even Stroll). It upsets us Australasians that Webber was not allowed to fight fairly.
And very off topic, Pete, we are all saddened at the tragedy in New Zealand. Dave
Thank you Dave. Was a very sad weekend. As was said in our companies vigil yesterday, we all hope that shock and sadness does not turn into anger and revenge. Love and respect for all is required.

Pete

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
^^ Yes.

Interesting observations by Marshall Pruett on F1 vs Indycar discrepancies at COTA:

"One of the more interesting threads coming out of the Spring Training test at COTA was the discrepancy in top speeds between IndyCars and Formula 1 machines. Stuck in the 185mph range, the Chevy- and Honda-powered Dallara DW12s were seen and heard hitting the rev limiter rather early on the long run between Turns 11 and 12."

"Compared to F1 cars on the same backstretch, which have run through the traps at more than 205mph, it’s a massive separation."

"It’s also worth noting that with F1’s Drag Reduction System fitted to the rear wings of its cars, top speeds soar and engines keep pulling until the braking zone. Without DRS technology in IndyCar, teams are forced to carry high downforce every step of the way while navigating the twisting, 3.4-mile facility. With that downforce held firm at the rear, those Chevys and Hondas hit an aero wall before the braking zone, and that’s where the 20mph difference comes from."

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I just secured tickets for Spa this year so am already getting jazzed to see and hear the new cars. Vettel gets preferential treatment to have every possible chance to snag a fifth championship. It is rather sad to see Ferrari in such desperate straights. Will they ever be world champs again?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
The Secret Aerodynamicist

Interesting inside view of aero strategies.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47527705

"By contrast, Ferrari's bargeboards have got bigger this year.

"This could be because they need to make up the front downforce which their front wing can't create. But it could well limit the ability of their diffuser to do its thing.

"In this way, Ferrari's philosophy could not only give them problems balancing the car front to rear as the season progresses, but also limit the amount of total downforce it can create."

·
Registered
277 Posts
A big sigh of relief for my RedTeam! Young 'Charlie' wraps-up his first F1 Pole, w/Vettel P2, & MBenz(Hammy) P3.
Hopefully this performance can be extended through tomorrow!

Regards

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Again the great Vettel is shown up, and it's not like he's a race strategist like a Prost.

Will be interesting to see if Ferrari have race pace too? Let's hope
Pete

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
My RedTeam=awful, d*mn awful!

Regards
Yep.

I admit I have not watched this race, but Vettel spinning out when under pressure is just like last year when he threw away a potential WDC. Almost starting to feel sorry for him as his legacy is eroding. Not the first driver to become an also ran at Ferrari unfortunately, in fact very few have become heros - Ascari, Lauda, Gilles Villeneuve and Michael Schumacher.
Pete

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hopefully a temporary setback with regard to the engine. If it is an anomaly that can be corrected, we have the best engine this season. If it is a deep part of the design, we might be in trouble.

Leclerc is the future of the team. Vettel is making the mistakes that Hamilton made early in his career when under pressure or the car had issues. Hamilton has become mentally stronger, whereas Vetel is just starting that part of his career. His early years he didn't have to endure it so much with that great car. Alonso may have put it best when he said, "I am not fighting Vettel, I am fighting Newey". If he can get through the tough years and learn from it, he might be too old. His future is unclear.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
"Hamilton admitted that he still has more work to do to improve his launch off the grid"

You think? His starts are fairly erratic, usually just so so, sometimes great but sometimes quite lousy, costing him a place or two at the beginning of the race after doing a magnificent job of qualifying in first place.

Interesting season so far, what with Leclerc showing such talent. Will there be a new number one driver at Ferrari?

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Will there be a new number one driver at Ferrari?
Not until they wise up and sack Vettel.

One of the historic problems with Ferrari is their poor ability to choose drivers, unfortunately. Often choose them after their fire has dimmed.
Pete

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Comment on Leclercs failiure at Bahrain, reason for why he was leading and then suddenly dropping back to 3rd. Place. Loosing 1 cylinder, probably the injector.

121 - 140 of 464 Posts