Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
So...where are the expert conversations about handling and dynamics and roll centers and suspension pivot points? Where are the cross section drawings of how these cars are packaged so we can learn something about them? Even if they're last years since they're no longer "secret."
Exactly. That would be worth talking about, unlike practice times and sticker schemes.
Pete

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Sad story for we fans is when professional sports owners, hello Bernie E., got so incredibly greedy that they polluted the soul of the game to make an extra buck or extra million/billion bucks! Not only F1 but baseball, football, etc. An exception to this poison is the Monterey Historic races each fall at Laguna Seca. Tremendous experience to walk freely in the paddock and strike up friendly conversations with owners and mechanics of classic race cars.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
These cars are hurting my eyes. I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to watch F1 in person in the late '60s when the cars were actually pretty.

Mike
Agree Mike. I can't think of a more beautiful F1 car than Dan Gurney's AAR Eagle. But have to wonder how stable it was at speed with no aero elements.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
That's the point of fewer aero effects/contraptions. They moved around more on the track, more visible drifting, and certainly more fun to watch as the drivers applied their skills to control them in the turns. I miss those days, which I used to enjoy more.

Agree about the Eagle. M fav. Saw the car run at 1967 Monza before it retired. Today's cars are just plain stone ugly. The newer wider front wings are a kluge from the word go, just an add-on to try to counter the adverse effects of the other aero components.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Just heard in the news about a family in our area barely saved from CO poisoning due to their keyless car idling in the attached garage. Darn things are dangerous, thus the pending legislation about having the vehicle shut off after a certain amount of idling if the driver is not in the car.

F1....:whistling:

oh look...I found the quote tab

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Oops. Don't know what happened there. Moved to the correct location.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Thanks for forwarding. I am glad to see a tighter tie-in between Alfa and their F1 team, but I am not sure I would want to purchase a car decked out with the F1 livery. It kind of reminds me of seeing a grown man walking around in a baseball or other sports team jersey. It works for going to the game, but not as daily apparel.
Bill

·
Registered
277 Posts
IMO they'd all look even better w/white rims, including the F1 car!

I wonder if we'll get them in the USofA, & how much extra they'll cost?

Regards

·
Premium Member
253 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I hope he's right, even if the only thing Alfa is the badge.

Mike
Overall its a wrong comment, Alfa has taken over completely their F1 project and there is no mention of Alfa Sauber as in last year.

With regards to technology every team has their own specific car not like any other teams. So this year its an Alfa Romeo team with an Alfa Romeo car! If you refer to the engine, its quite normal for the other teams also to run with bought engines. Still its an Alfa Romeo project and not an Alfa badge on some other car!

G.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
As much as we love the idea of that, and we are all excited about the Alfa Romeo F1 team, at this point it's a sponsorship / naming rights deal. We will be much more excited when there is an Alfa Romeo chassis under it, and maybe a joint venture Ferrari-Alfa engine in it. A team of Alfa Romeo engineers (remember, there aren't any anymore) developing the suspension. Until then we can just root for the logo and the colors.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Mr Brawn speaks about the idea of returning to a long gone era........

"According to F1 sporting director and genius aerodynamicist Ross Brawn, the current car loses as much as half of its aero performance when following two car lengths behind. For the 2021 regulations, Brawn says they already have a design that reduces that number to 10% performance loss while following."

"Steps have been made for the 2019 regulations to reduce that aero performance dip by as much as one-third, which will hopefully translate to an increase in overtaking and an ability for drivers to fight on better footing. If this year’s racing results are a success, then that further reduction in aero penalty for 2021 sounds quite promising."

q6rym5o8timkukvrlfay.jpg

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/2021-concepts-five-times-dirty-air/4349133/

“I’ve heard it commented that we should get rid of the wings and the downforce and just rely on mechanical grip and then the cars will be able to race each other,” Brawn told Motorsport.com. The problem with that is they’ll be slow. And the speed of the Formula 1 car is what takes your breath away."

"We don’t want to lose the speed of the Formula 1 car. We want it to be the fastest racing car on the planet, the most impressive racing car on the planet - and you can only do that by harnessing the aerodynamic performance. So I don’t think we can take a simplistic view and just get rid of all the downforce and think that’ll solve it."

"What we need is the downforce to be delivered in a way that cars can race each other. Overtaking can sometimes be used as the measure of success, but in fact close racing and the ability of cars to run behind each other and run side-by-side and get close and attack is the thing that everyone gets excited about. Even if it ultimately didn’t culminate in an overtaking being achieved - but they’re fighting each other."

So what they're saying is they don't dare get outclassed by other forms of racing. Lap speeds are paramount. The vacuum cleaners glued to corners are necessary to do that. If you want cars power sliding through mid-speed corners, you want some kind of retro racing, or F2, or Indycars, or Spec Miatas.

81 - 100 of 464 Posts