61 - 80 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Vivace,

It's not just the missing material. The angle of the elements relative to the main element is quite different as well. On WTF1, someone speculated that Sauber/Alfa are collaborating with Ferrari, with whom they have a close relationship. Well, that would likely contravene the regulations (Appendix 6, I think it is, where aero testing is 'restricted').

My guess? At speed, the rotating front tires produce a 'wash' of air forward of the front tires. I have seen CFD images of this somewhere. Anyway, perhaps Sauber are testing the more efficient portions of that wing. But the angle? I think this is an effort to channel the air around to the sides and to produce vortices. In other words, it's an effort at airflow management to the middle portion of the bodywork.

Just my 2 cents....

Stephen.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Day 2:

"...Leclerc’s benchmark time of 1m 18.247s, set on the same C3 compound of tyres that Sebastian Vettel used to put in his fastest time yesterday, was just 0.086s slower than the German’s effort, with Ferrari over a second clear of their nearest rivals."

"For most of the first half of the day at least, that nearest rival was Antonio Giovinazzi, who put in an impressive debut stint at the wheel of his Alfa Romeo C38."

MB is probably sandbagging.

image.jpg

< EDIT >

"Fifth on the day was Antonio Giovinazzi — just as Kimi Raikkonen was for Alfa Romeo on day one — as the Italian just crept above the 100-lap mark at the end of the day. Giovinazzi’s time of 1m19.312s was just over 0.1s quicker than Raikkonen recorded but Tuesday saw the benchmark set on the softer C4 tire."

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
He can be a dope as long as he drives our Alfa really fast.

Have you all seen the weird super glossy tires? That isn't Armor all, Pirelli is now using "chrome" molds to produce that....for some reason.

f3220fe5e79144aca74b952a0867635f.jpg

But I just read that they are finally going to a more modern racing sidewall with 18" wheels for 2021. And no more tire warmers allowed.
Some of it is marketing, to make the tire more resemble a performance car on the street, but c'mon, we're still using 13" wheels and have the tires do half the work of the suspension.

F1-18-inch-for-2021-430x287.png

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
61 - 80 of 464 Posts