Alfa Romeo Forums banner

341 - 360 of 454 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Just when I was beginning to respect Verstappen for his driving, he makes me remember why I had thought of him as the Dutch Dork. Kimi had a reasonable chance of a very good finish in the Sau, I mean Alfa Romeo, until the Dutch Dork tried an impossible pass in the first turn on the first lap, once again proving that you can only lose a race on the first lap.

I was pleased to see Leclerc's win and Vettel's willingness to support him.

Mike

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Just when I was beginning to respect Verstappen for his driving, he makes me remember why I had thought of him as the Dutch Dork. Kimi had a reasonable chance of a very good finish in the Sau, I mean Alfa Romeo, until the Dutch Dork tried an impossible pass in the first turn on the first lap, once again proving that you can only lose a race on the first lap.
Sorry Mike, but in my opinion it was fully Kimi's fault.

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
Sorry, but Max tried to stick his nose in where there was less room than he thought, where he couldn't be seen, where to even try to fit in, he had to put his rhs wheels clear off the track. Kimi had the proper line.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Sorry, but Max tried to stick his nose in where there was less room than he thought, where he couldn't be seen, where to even try to fit in, he had to put his rhs wheels clear off the track. Kimi had the proper line.
Thanks, Del. I agree with you. It was obvious to the stewards that it was not Kimi's fault, of they would have dinged him for it. I am surprised they didn't ding the Dutchman.

Mike

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Kimi had the proper line.
Yes, but not in Spa, and not just right after the start.

All start procedure incidents in the last years in Spa / La Source happened because the drivers did turn in for "their line".

Kimi is such an experienced driver. He must have known that. Max was not too fast, did not lock up, just was there when Kimi did cut his line.

Max couldn't dissappear.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Any accident, even on a public road, is not about who was in the right, but whether you want to get involved in the accident or not. Do you drive into the side of a car when somebody drives into a roundabout when they should have given way to you? I don't, I take avoiding action.

Same as anybody going into Spa's first corner and expecting to take the corner normally, ie. starting out wide and then apexing, is a fool. The first few corners of any long race (yes compared to club racing, F1 races are very long) are about surviving and also making easy positions. Then you settle into the race proper and yes that first corner at Spa can then be taken properly, for the best lap time. There is also plenty of room outside on that first corner, so just take the corner staying wide and if somebody does sneak up the inside, use the extra width to maintain pace down hill and see who is braver ...
Pete

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
Max did admit after the race that he perhaps hit the brakes in that corner a little later than the others, and thus ended up further forward than he thought he would, relative to the others, expecting the other drivers to hit the brakes later as well when he did.

Yes, the first corner at Spa can be a bit of a scramble, but still... one shouldn't get overly greedy, since it is a long race, with lots of space for overtaking. Plenty of time to straighten out the order. The real point is to make it through without either getting taken out, or taking someone else out.

Also, it is my own opinion that having a pretty sharp turn at the end of a GP 'drag race' start is seemingly pretty much designed to create a potential collision situation. I expect a collision every time at a start at most race tracks just because of that.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Love the Ice Man”, but clearly his fault. You expect to go through the first corner in “lanes”, not on the normal racing line.

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
The authorities there later said that Kimi had nowhere to go but where he was, and Max said that it wasn't Kimi's fault, that he (Max) had a crappy start with wheelspin and tried to make up for it by being too aggressive. The Stewards agreed, not implicating Kimi.

There are no such thing as 'lanes' in a frantic first corner such as that. Everyone is jostling for some sort of position wherever they might fit in, back and forth, squeezing down in the tight corner, hoping to not get hit or hit someone.

Anyway, for the rest of the race, Hamilton was just a couple of laps too late to take the win, as LeClerc's tires were fading fast. Didn't help that he was told to wait to pit, and his last pit stop was a second longer than usual, ~3.6 sec, as compared to LeClerc's at ~2.6 sec.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Didn't see it myself, but just read about it on the BBC Formula 1 section. Weird. And tactically very risky. I wonder why this year it turned out so badly for many.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
This weekend has turned expensive for AR with Gio and Kimi both making off-course excursions. Both cars are in the pack with very little time between them and the top place. Nice to see the cars competitive. Tomorrow's race grid should be interesting to see where the cars are placed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Another good drive for Leclerc as he out ran BOTH Mercedes! Unfortunately Vettel finished 'up-track'...
It took Ferrari 9 years to win again at Monza(their 'home-track)! I think only one of the Alfas wound-up
w/points.....

Leclerc was challenged throughout the race by Mercedes but, amazingly, held on for the win!

Regards

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Always something negative to say.
No, I'm watching F1 in detail since 40 years so always am interested in new challengers. But, even after 2 consecutive wins, I don't recognize him as superior so far. Maybe I'm wrong. But Leclerc still does not impress me. It's a little bit like with Valtteri. Extra potential is what a champion needs.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
No, I'm watching F1 in detail since 40 years so always am interested in new challengers. But, even after 2 consecutive wins, I don't recognize him as superior so far. Maybe I'm wrong. But Leclerc still does not impress me. It's a little bit like with Valtteri. Extra potential is what a champion needs.
It was good to see the home team win, I have worked with for and on Ferrari street and race cars over the years. BUT ...as far a drivers my eyes are on Max...

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Nobody thinks he's superior yet. He's developing and developing well. He certainly got some defending training today. At the edge of legality, but he recognized that.
Nothing illegal about it ,...it was good old hardcore racing ..the FIA tamped down their petty interference. Just imagine if they set a 5 second penalty,it would have been chaos >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

341 - 360 of 454 Posts