Alfa Romeo Forums banner

301 - 320 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nice to see the Alfas making it to Q3 with some regularity. Great racing by Max and LeClerc, we will hopefully watch these two youngsters battle like that for the next several years. I could see a couple moves by Leclerc as questionable, but I doubt any driver in F1 hasn't made the same ones. I was happy there were no stewards involved in that. Vettel, I just can't explain. P6 in qualifying and then punting Max like that. Wow.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Dangerous driving (changing line under braking) is not the opposite for soft.

Max's style was again superior to Leclerc's. He didn't learn how to win such a fight, he just drove more dirty.
Remember Max has more time in F1 to tame his approach. I'm glad Leclerc got his elbows out, we don't need another Massa ...
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Frankly, I enjoyed the tussle between LeClerc and Verstappen. Racing actually broke out at this GP.

Seb just seems lackluster. The focus of the past appears gone. Perhaps its just the despair of a bright record setting future (ala his four championships with RBR) harshed by the reality that if you don't have the best car, you don't win. Oh, and the ego crush of having two junior drivers (Riccardo and now LeClerc) besting him in equivalent equipment. Perhaps he should hang it up before his lack of focus causes him to hurt himself or others. Its a shame, I really expected Ferrari, and Seb, to take it to Merc this year.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Call it what you want, LeClerc shoved Max off - wheels to wheels - and then shut the door 'for good measure' as Brundle likes to say. I enjoyed every second of it! >:)

But don't get me wrong, I like Max and his speed. I have said it before, Max belongs at Ferrari! and that is what the old Drake would do NOW; mid-season before Monza: return Seb and hire Max away from Horner. This is what we need to fight MBz and Hami.

I hope we are not looking at another decade of soft Massas and Barrichellos at Ferrari.

And finally - yes Alfa - give them the full spec motor and let's get some red cars on the top podium. Giovi svegliati !!

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
For the criticism against LeClerc, Verstappen had this to say about the duel:

“I think it was nice racing.”

LeClerc just gave back to Verstappen what Verstappen had done to him in Austria. He had to expect no other action if Le Clerc is to grow as a top driver. Certainly Schumacher showed us all how to do just that, including hitting another car on purpose, and the officials accepting that, he winning the championship by that totally questionable action.

People forget, today's tiffs are fairly mild in comparison, I think.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
LeClerc just gave back to Verstappen what Verstappen had done to him in Austria.
No, no, no.

It was Leclerc (not LeClerc) who steered into Max's car in Austria. There was nothing to 'give back'.

So far I haven't seen anything superior in Leclerc except the fact he's really quick.

But he's still missing some real champion's attitude. We'll see if he has more potential or not.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Senna/Prost anyone?
Ayrton vs. Napoleon mostly was political behind the scenes. 30% of the battle happened on the track while Napoleon played dirty 70% outside the car.

With Balestre, with Dennis, against Honda.

Worst day in Suzuka 1989 where he clearly was supported by Balestre and 'won' a championship by Senna being disqualified after Prost's bad move.

Balestre never should have been President of FISA/FIA.

Legendary vid from Hockenheim; perfectly showing Balestre's true character:

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
As written in another F1 site:

"Elbows out and wheel-to-wheel, Max Verstappen reckons Charles Leclerc was “a little bit sore still from Austria” as they fought for position at the British GP.

Leclerc was left smarting when he lost the Austrian Grand Prix win to Verstappen after the Dutchman pushed him wide and off the track to take the lead"

·
Registered
277 Posts
"Ferrari had issues..." is a very nice way to mention their vomit-inducing qualifying day! I can't remember a worse showing for my RedTeam, in qualifying!

Regards

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
The 2019 German GP = not a great race for my RedTeam...but spectacular entertainment!!!

Regards
Definitely great entertainment, but P20 to P2 is something to celebrate, as well as the Alfas in the top ten. The racing gods seem to have had enough of parades - we can only hope it rains for all the remaining races.

Mike

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Alfa Romeo drivers both get 30-second penalties for drive-throughs they should have served in race, so Hamilton is elevated to 9th and Kubica gets a point for 10th!

12th K. Räikkönen Alfa Romeo·#7

13th A. Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo·#99

301 - 320 of 464 Posts