Alfa Romeo Forums banner

261 - 280 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Our man Ricciardo telling it as it is......... I believe he's made the right decision and we'll reconvene in 2021 and see if I'm wrong!

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Simple solution to this running wide issue, if they don't want to reinstall grass and gravel traps, don't paint the track edges with that special paint developed for motorcycle racing, instead ensure it is really really slippery ...

That will solve it immediately
Pete

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I feel obligated to inform the BB Formula 1 fans that I just received a telegram from the FIA Stewards informing me that I was being penalized for falling asleep during the telecast of the French GP.

The "Pinnacle of Motorsport" indeed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Things "might" be looking-up for my RedTeam as Leclerc gets P1 for Austrian GP! It'll be interesting so see if they screw-it-up.....

Regards

ps- Vettel = "no time" in Q3, gets P10

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well that was one h*ll-of-a-race.....but if Verstappen had over taken Hamilton like that he'd be penalized & have lost P1!

Regards

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Correct decision from the stewards NOT to penalize a move that simply was pure racing. Would they have, they wouldn't have survived as the trillions of supporting Dutch fans would have killed them.

Decision in Canada was a shame for racing and a desaster for F1.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Correct decision from the stewards NOT to penalize a move that simply was pure racing. Would they have, they wouldn't have survived as the trillions of supporting Dutch fans would have killed them.

Decision in Canada was a shame for racing and a desaster for F1.
Agree completely!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I saw a video a couple of days ago of MvS racing carts at a young age. He did that same exact move over and over and elbowed his way to the front. Very interesting. Dive down the inside, hard on the brakes, sometimes locking up, pinch the apex, can't manage the momentum, swing out wide, do some bumping, take the lead. Although he does a little wave each time...

"Oop!"
"Sorry!"
"Thanks for the room!"
"Sucker!"

Oh, here it is, on Road & Track....
https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a28106869/max-verstappen-vintage-karting-onboard-video/

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I saw a video a couple of days ago of MvS racing carts at a young age. He did that same exact move over and over and elbowed his way to the front. Very interesting. Dive down the inside, hard on the brakes, sometimes locking up, pinch the apex, can't manage the momentum, swing out wide, do some bumping, take the lead. Although he does a little wave each time...

"Oop!"
"Sorry!"
"Thanks for the room!"
"Sucker!"

Oh, here it is, on Road & Track....
https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a28106869/max-verstappen-vintage-karting-onboard-video/
Your description has nothing in common with the move in Austria today. Max fully kept his line, wasn't even one inch outside the track limits. But Leclerc steered into his front wheel.

That was racing. Leclerc is way too soft when racing wheel-to-wheel. Hammy would have pushed him into the wall today.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Interesting! From when they were kids.

So, just for my understanding, what constitutes "forcing" your way inside where you don't have room? How far back from a corner can you get inside and expect to hold that spot? If the leading car is on the outside curb and rotates in to the apex and you wedge in there, where's the line between ok and not ok?

We've all seen a guy shoot the inside, too much momentum, and t-bone the outside guy already in the corner.

You see old film of classic races where two guys battle wheel to wheel through many corners, one outside, one inside. Masterful car control. If you are wheel to wheel in a corner and outside, can you expect to have room at the exit curb, or are you expected to back off?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
No momentum, no t-boning. Max had full control.
But: If in that corner there would be still oldschool gravel outside, Leclerc never would have tried to go wide. It was Max's corner, he fully was alongside before apex. Leclerc lost that corner already in the braking zone.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
No momentum, no t-boning. Max had full control.
But: If in that corner there would be still oldschool gravel outside, Leclerc never would have tried to go wide. It was Max's corner, he fully was alongside before apex. Leclerc lost that corner already in the braking zone.
Agree, and why gravel traps or grass, etc. need to return.

These oversized run off areas to improve Bernie's TV show, not for safety, are responsible for so much that is negative in modern F1. The reason for them is Bernie didn't like competitors not being able to continue ...

BTW: Vettel is again being beaten by a team mate ... great decision Ferrari, great decision signing him up ... idiots
Pete

261 - 280 of 464 Posts