Alfa Romeo Forums banner

241 - 260 of 454 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,417 Posts
While I don't really care which guy won, looking again at the visuals as presented on the web, Vettel just wasn't THAT close to the right side wall by time the car was running straight and he was done correcting the steering, before the car started to move to the right again. Some think he was fairly out of control all the way, drifting toward the wall, but I can't quite see that in the recordings. Only that he did barge one way or the other out onto the track toward the racing line with Hamilton already there.

Whatever. That race is done, the results may get overturned, or not, will be argued forever. Either guy deserved to win, the Stewards, with more data than we can see, decided. Only Vettel knows just what he did. We will never know if Hamilton could have finally passed him and eventually stay ahead to the finish

Life goes on.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I can't judge either way. I'm just dejected we threw away a win. Only hope is the remaining upgrades do something. 2/3 of the season remaining. Didn't Alonso say at this stage and trailing in the points by a big margin, "I will win the championship."? And he came within a point or two after slowly clawing his way out of his hole.

Yeah, I know. Fat chance.

·
Premium Member
15,417 Posts
Lol, put fenders and bumpers on the cars, and let them bang away as in NASCAR. And if they hit a wall, so be it, as in NASCAR.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Wednesday Tech Tips!

Mercedes suspension and steering design pushes the nose down in low speed corners, giving them an edge. Some unclothed detail shots of the front hubs and suspension arms in this video.

"What’s going on here is that Mercedes is mounting the steering in its cars differently than expected, using the force of turning the wheel to act like an anti-roll bar, or to force the nose of the car down. It’s something it can pull off with power steering, some very elaborate manufacturing, and some even more creative thought."

More here -
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-rear-suspension-secret-revealed/4456132/

and here -
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.tech-tuesday-how-the-mercedes-w10-devours-slow-speed-corners.4YyPEfVVDFYoU2j2qbg1o.html

·
Registered
277 Posts
French GP: My RedTeam qualifies 'up-track'. Benz: Locks-up front row = ho hum.

Up-Side: My NYYankees win 7 in-a-row & lead AL East by 4 1/2!!!

Regards

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Ricciardo is absolutely spanking Hulkenburg now ... as I expected.
Pete

·
Registered
277 Posts
Extremely painful to watch my RedTeam...ugly=yes, awful=yes, dreadful=yes-yes! Benz 'running-away' from the pack is d*mn-near obscene. To add insult to injury: Hamilton gets 'fastest-lap' on the final lap &
gets an extra point to add to his victory on 'worn-tires'...Vettel got new 'red-stripes' on next to last lap to no avail! Again=awful. Leclerc=P3, at least that's 'hopeful'.....

Regards

ps-I think Ricciardo has 'some' racing left...

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Agreed, I watched the French Grand Prix this morning.....one word.......BORING. Even the locals stayed away with the stands looking half full at best. Believe Vettel got the fastest lap on his final lap and got the extra point.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Ricciardo is absolutely spanking Hulkenburg now ... as I expected.
Pete
Hulkenburg 7th Ricciardo12th....Ricciardo F1 career is pretty much over.
No way. Team owners use qualifying to judge speed.

Obviously some drama happened in the race, which I did not watch: just went to F1-live.com, Ricciardo finishes 7th but was penalised back to 11th due to going off track passing Norris ... so in qualifying and in a race Ricciardo is always faster than Hulkenburg, as expected.
Pete

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
He'll never get in the right car.....again
A career trajectory sort of like Alonso's. It takes more than driving skill to succeed in F1 - some luck and clever management are required too.
Agree, but I disagree that he made a bad move.

Max is finding it painful at RB now and Renault can only go up. Yes it was a risk but coming home at best 3rd does not win you a WDC. Renault have produced the best engine on the grid many times, they might do it again ... and yeah sure RB might make a great car when the rules change, but the team is biased and only see Max.

Have a chat to Mark Weber about staying at RB and getting screwed and unlike Mark, Ricciardo is genuinely WDC material ... again why Ferrari didn't grab him instead of Vettel amazes me. Ferrari management appear to read drivers like accountants and not with their eyes open.

But you are right re a little luck is required. Even M Schumacher was lucky
Pete

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
One correction about fast lap - Vettel got it on the final lap after changing to reds.

At least the last lap was interesting.

Mike

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Thankfully the broadcast pretty much ignored what was happening at the front and focused on the midfield races. Good to see McLaren sorting things out, shame one of their cars had an issue.

241 - 260 of 454 Posts