Alfa Romeo Forums banner

501 - 520 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I spent the day yesterday wrenching cars and watching racing and as the season is over I thought it was worth a little chat.... Why the hell does anyone watch F1? The Champcar race from Australia was just awesome (with the exception of PT getting screwed). Champ car...pit fires, crashes, passing, banging wheels, airborne through chicanes, donuts. Meanwhile most of us watched another boring F1 race. They did have a couple crashes but, they touch each other and the cars are destroyed or crippled, there is pretty much no passing. With the new DP01 coming which may be faster than F1 cars, no stars left in F1, 2 possible F1 Teams to Champcar, I think the Monaco race should be transferred to Champcar.
In my inbox this morning :D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Yes we all know you only love Champ Car but if I want to see fires and crashes and generally poor discipline I'd watch Nascar. For insanely tight racing and all that the WTCC is all you need.

Champcar, please, nobody outside the US cares about it. No stars left in F1, eh yeah... Are there ANY stars in Champcar?

·
Registered
619 Posts
That pass that Michael did on Kimi was brilliant! Michael has bollocks the size of planets! I'm gonna miss him, but by the same token, next year could possibly be a wide-open race for the Driver's Championhip. And there'll be at least one or two new faces as well. I love F1!!! Now for the drought until March... Cheers all,

David

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hoo boy........nice teets!

Also....Ross Brawn is retiring too! And, engine guru Martinelli is going to FIAT. What a shakeup at Ferrari.

David

·
Registered
30 Posts
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f6ofdXDykqw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f6ofdXDykqw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

We'll miss him!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7sfSjPPZm4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7sfSjPPZm4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

·
Registered
862 Posts
a class act

Very nice video I can't wait for a proper biography or video. It will be hard for me to have the same pleasure watching F1 next year. Which only re inforces what I already know. MS was the reason I watched he was F1 fo me.

Thanks for the wonderful post!:D

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
My understanding is that many teams, including Ferrari, tried the mass damper but only Renault could make it work. It was not illegal at the time it was being used (in fact, it was deemed by the FIA and Charlie Whiting to be legal at the beginning of the season) and was voluntarily removed by Renault before it was then deemed to be illegal. Since only the Renaults were designed around the mass damper, it's removal slowed them a fair bit.

Hey again! This post is in response to ALFA-75-MAN's post #512. So how can it be post #509?

·
Registered
49 Posts
One of the greatest, most beautifull and ugliest season in Formula 1 history. Kudos to Alonso - Renault - Michelin for a great/epic achievement.

Good bye and good ridance to one of the greatest driver/test pilot/car (co)developer and greatest cheater of all time.

Hope Alonso and Kimi get competitive cars next year to entertain us.

·
Registered
862 Posts
One of the greatest, most beautifull and ugliest season in Formula 1 history. Kudos to Alonso - Renault - Michelin for a great/epic achievement.

Good bye and good ridance to one of the greatest driver/test pilot/car (co)developer and greatest cheater of all time.

Hope Alonso and Kimi get competitive cars next year to entertain us.
Cheaters of all time hmmm I guess Renault and there ilegal parts to win the first handful of races was not cheating? What happened when they were forced to remove those ilegal parts they lost race after race.

Shumi again is no saint but people if you think there is no cheating in F1 by no one else but Ferrari or Shumi than please take your finger out of your ***. Because you know nothing of the sport of racing. Any team strives to get the edge especially when it envolves big $$$$. What many of you dislike is the fact that Ferrar dominated for so many years. Well I watched and followed when they didn't so it was a pleasure to see MS and Ferrari and let me repeat once more that Alonso is a fake champion will never repeat again or come close to MS.

Peace to all...

·
Registered
49 Posts
What's wrong with this forum/tread ?!
I posted in reply to ALFA 75, so why is it duspayed above ?!

Anyway to fix this.

Cheaters of all time hmmm I guess Renault and there ilegal parts to win the first handful of races was not cheating? What happened when they were forced to remove those ilegal parts they lost race after race.

Reanult's have used mass dampers since the end of the 2005 season.
Mass dampers were apoved by FIA and adopted by other teams including Ferrari.
Furthermore, Renault with FIA's blessing, build the R26 around the mass dampers as opposed to Ferrari who used them as an addon.
The Renault R26 was perhaps the most revolutionary car since McLaren introduced their carbon fibre bodied car.

But McLaren protested so they were banned.
Both Renault and Ferrari, but especially Renault lost ground to McLaren, but thru aerodynamics both, but Renault especially, compensated.

This would that either both Reanult and Ferrari cheated with FIA's blessing, or FIA was inconsistent and stupid (as ever).

And ofcourse Ferrari used the flexi-wings, again banned as illegal, BMW the twin-towers again banned as illegal, and McLaren before that used those fancy brake system.

Honestly I don't understand how F1 will be the queen of motor-sport if anything that makes cars faster are considered sooner or later illegal.

Shumi again is no saint but people if you think there is no cheating in F1 by no one else but Ferrari or Shumi than please take your finger out of your ***.
I never said that. Senna and Prost were also cheaters.
Remember Suzuka 89 and 90.

Because you know nothing of the sport of racing.
I belive I do know about motor-sport.

Any team strives to get the edge especially when it envolves big $$$$.
I agree, never said otherwise.

What many of you dislike is the fact that Ferrar dominated for so many years.
Actually I disliked the boredom first, and M. Schumacher's stunts at Adelaide (1994 with Benetton), Jerez (1997) and Monaco (2006) second.
I do not dislike Ferrari per se.

Well I watched and followed when they didn't so it was a pleasure to see MS and Ferrari
Sometimes it was a pleasure, sometimes disquisting (I mentioned above why).

and let me repeat once more that Alonso is a fake champion will never repeat again or come close to MS.
Alonso is a real (two times world) champion, while Schumacher WAS a FAKE champion in 1994.

The battle in this season was unlike anyother before. It was the battle of the toughest nut to crack, of the greatest consistency, and Alonso and Renault (and Michelin won).

From an unpolished and unknown rookie, with a team struggling for 7th place (Renault) teamed with uncompetitive tyres (Michelin) a few years ago, they have becomed world champions in 2 biterly contested seansons.

Alonso not only defeated MS in the chapionship, but also in crawling to the top with a lame team, overshadowing Ferrari's Schumacher lead resurection.

Peace to all...
What kind of peace ?!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Okay I understood your post and thank you for clearing it up for me. I just hate MS bashers without any descent comments. Yes a lot of teams cheat when possible or bend the rules etc...

As far as MS applying the brakes well if he did he could have died at the rate of speed. I'm refering to the nice video posted again thank you.

I think when discussing MS the positives out weigh the negatives. The records are load and clear at least to me....I don't like Alonso but I also don't like KIMI as far as personality. I'd like to see FISI or Truli or the Polish driver in the Ferrari.

What kind of peace? The one to end all wars and the one that doesn't piss anyone off. The exchanging of thoughts beliefs without getting your willy in a knot over difference of opinion. For me backing your thoughts with good posts when it comes to F1.

Merry Christmas don't ask what kind of Merry

Anyway to lazy to quote ....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes a lot of teams cheat when possible or bend the rules etc...
Well, depends from time, regulations, openness and perspective what cheating or bending the rules means.

Today, MB's direct injection, Cooper's mir-rear layout, the Lotus's mono-coupe, the spoilers, the McLaren carbon fibre bodies would be banned as illegal by the super restrictive, inconsistent, and down-right stupid FIA.

I'd make mass dampers, flexi wings, twin towers, fancy brakeing systems compolsive, because I want cars to go faster.

As far as MS applying the brakes well if he did he could have died at the rate of speed. I'm refering to the nice video posted again thank you.
Senna and Prost incidents in 1989 and especially 1990 were also bad if not worse (1990).
But that didn't stoped then or Scumi for causing such things.
For me neither Schumacher, Senna or Prost could hold a candle to Fangio.
Fangio had achieved 5 titles, a victory and pole-position ratio that surpasses
Schumacher, Senna and Prost, yet not once was he involved in an accident/incident.
He was, acording to his team mates Moss and Kling a gentleman that F1 never seen since.

I think when discussing MS the positives out weigh the negatives. The records are load and clear at least to me....
I don't belive that endangering others people life, next to your own, is justifiable thru succes.

I don't like Alonso but I also don't like KIMI as far as personality. I'd like to see FISI or Truli or the Polish driver in the Ferrari.
Fisico and/or Trulli are only second drivers compared to Alonso and Kimi. Both
Fisico and Trulli were Alonso's team mates and they proved they're not on the same level.

Points comparison:
Year: Alonso vs. Trulli
2003: 55 vs. 33
2004: 59 vs. 46
Year: Alonso vs. Fisico
2005: 133 vs. 58
2006: 134 vs. 72

Kubica on the other hand might be the next Alonso.

What kind of peace? The one to end all wars and the one that doesn't piss anyone off. The exchanging of thoughts beliefs without getting your willy in a knot over difference of opinion. For me backing your thoughts with good posts when it comes to F1.

Merry Christmas don't ask what kind of Merry

Anyway to lazy to quote ....
So that would be positive peace. Nice.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
Good idea.
So it is started. Thanks to everyone for the GREAT discussion in this thread during the 2006 season - 518 replies and 17,136 views - almost triple the views of the 2005 season. I think that reflects the quality of the 2006 F1 season and racing in addition to the high level of motorsport interest on this board. Of course the result wasn't what I forecast, but congrats to Renault and Alonso for their success. Now on to 2007!

501 - 520 of 520 Posts