Alfa Romeo Forums banner

321 - 340 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
David,

I agree on the coverage, and on the "moving chicanes" on the track. Massa looked shaky early on but has improved of late, and I hope he gets a good seat next year if the rumors that Kimi will be at Ferrari with MS prove to be true.

I personally have no problem with "shielding" or otherwise protecting a team's position, since I still consider F1 a team rather than an individual sport. The drivers' championship starts when the lights go out for the first race and every point counts, so IMHO team strategy legitimately starts at that point as well. I know I am in the minority on this, but being an F1 history buff who started attending races in the late 60's at Watkins Glen I view things through the historical context. If only team #1 drivers could still take over their #2's cars in the event of a retirement....

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
GTV116 said:
Just like Ferrari did at Malaysian GP of this season.
At least according to your signature,what we are saying is just opinions. Not proven facts.
Very little of what I say is ever proven as fact :D :D ...

Pete

·
Registered
619 Posts
Pete,

Your most recent entry sums ME up nicely: Often wrong, but never in doubt! Good luck to the Ferrari team this weekend in Hungary!!

David

·
Registered
619 Posts
Matt,

It seem that we see F1 in a similar light. I love the "chess game" aspect of it as much as I love the racing. Lets see what happens this weekend! Cheers mate,

David

·
Registered
619 Posts
Pete,

It now appears, according to bbc.com, that your earlier statement was correct: Webber is leaving Williams, NOT Williams dumped Webber.

David

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Alonso penalised 2 seconds for tomorrow's Hungary qualifying. Is the pressure getting to him?

From planetf1.com

"Alonso gesticulated angrily at the Dutchman after being held up on the start-finish straight in second practice.

He weaved ahead and then slowed dramatically at the apex of the corner, forcing Doornbos to take avoiding action, a move the stewards have interpreted as a deliberate brake test.

That potentially dangerous move is frowned upon in Formula One but Alonso claimed he was just reminding Doornbos to use his mirrors.

He said: "What happened is the same thing that happens in every race and in the test sessions when you lap someone. The slower cars take so long and they don't look in the mirror too much.

"When you overtake them you always do something to say look in the mirror - and this time it seems that it is really important."

Race stewards disagreed, claiming Alonso's actions were "unnecessary, unacceptable and dangerous".

He was also punished for overtaking a rival when yellow flags were waved to indicate a hazard, an offence he committed towards the end of the session.

Renault confirmed they will not challenge the penalties."

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
MS received a similar 2 second penalty for passing under red in the morning practice, so both he and Alonso will start from mid-pack and behind Trulli. Michael was P12 but should move up one with Button's -10 engine change adjustment, and Alonso should stay P15. Should be interesting since passing is difficult.

1. Kimi Raikkonen Finland McLaren-Mercedes 1:19.599
2. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari 1:19.886
3. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Honda 1:20.085
4. Jenson Button Britain Honda 1:20.092
5. Pedro de la Rosa Spain McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.117
6. Mark Webber Australia Williams-Cosworth 1:20.266
7. Ralf Schumacher Germany Toyota 1:20.759
8. Giancarlo Fisichella Italy Renault 1:20.924
9. Jarno Trulli Italy Toyota 1:21.132
10. Robert Kubica Poland Sauber-BMW 1:22.049
11. Nick Heidfeld Germany Sauber-BMW 1:20.623
12. Michael Schumacher Germany Ferrari 1:20.875
13. David Coulthard Britain Red Bull-Ferrari 1:20.890
14. Christian Klien Austria Red Bull-Ferrari 1:21.207
15. Fernando Alonso Spain Renault 1:21.364
16. Tiago Monteiro Portugal MF1-Toyota 1:23.767
17. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:22.068
18. Nico Rosberg Germany Williams-Cosworth 1:22.084
19. Scott Speed United States Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:22.317
20. Takuma Sato Japan Super Aguri-Honda 1:22.967
21. Christijan Albers Netherlands MF1-Toyota 1:23.146
22. Sakon Yamamoto Japan Super Aguri-Honda 1:24.016

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
You See!?!?!? It's true! The off-track stuff in F1 is more exciting than the racing these days!!! LOL!!!

Sprintn

·
Registered
702 Posts
Don't get me wrong because I like Mark Webber, however, I don't think he is any more than a "B" driver. Good showing today though. Kimi, Fernando, and Michael are the "A" drivers, regardless of the cars they are in. Too bad Merc/Mc can't build a car that lasts the entire race. If they were ever to get on par with the reliability of Ferrari then I think Kimi would level Shumi in a head to head match. The real problem with the whole of F1 right now, however, is tires. Maybe if all were on the same make then we would see some real competition. Hungry is a tough place to pass, so if Kimi's car will last (doubtful) then he will win. If I were a betting man I'd say Massa will be the victor tomorrow if Jenson doesn't punt him off the course in the first turn.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Button takes win in Hungary. First victory in 113 starts. The guy was way overdue. I don't understand why MS couldn't stay in the race for three or four more laps with an ill handling car, and pick up a few extra points.:confused:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
I don't understand it either, and haven't found any explanation yet in any of the reports. If he could have just made it around just 2 more laps he would have at least taken a point for eighth. Whatever it was, it must have been serious enough, since the team obviously knew when they pushed him in the garage the situation on the track.

Why he didn't get fresh tires on his last stop is a mystery as well - seems like it was a day of poor decisions - first starting on full wets and then staying with worn tires. Anyway, a huge disappointment.

·
Registered
454 Posts
MS started the race with intermediate tyres,which with that amount of water on the track,had a serious handicap over Michelin's intermediates.When the conditions changed (less amount of water on the track) the situation changed on Bridgestone's intermediate tyres favour.
I don't think that Schumacher's abandoning has nothing to do with the condition of his tyres.
Anyway i just had enough with that tyre joke:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I suspect Schumacher had a clattering with Heidfeld. Heidfeld was just nailing him into the chicane and the Ferrari did not come out for some time and when it did it was crawling.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
AllthingsZagato said:
I suspect Schumacher had a clattering with Heidfeld. Heidfeld was just nailing him into the chicane and the Ferrari did not come out for some time and when it did it was crawling.
MS post race:

"The track rod broke as Heidfeld went past. We touched, partly because the track was still a bit slippery. These things happen. Did we take a risk staying out on track with intermediate tyres and in the fight with my rivals? That's the way I am. I always want to fight for the top which is why I have won so often. There are still five races to go. Nothing is yet lost and I will give it my all in trying to win the title."

·
Registered
862 Posts
Oh well **** happens

Yes MS could have and should have changed his tires in his last pit stop. The 2 second penalty should not have been given. But it was and we can't change what took place. I'm amazed how well he did with the condition of his tires they were horrible. The man has talent too bad the way things went down...:(

·
Registered
862 Posts
Well too wierd of a race I'm really surprised how the English commentators reacted to Button winning they really showed there colours yikes! They should have been happy but not to that point.

one point better than nothing it might just be what Ferrari may need at the end.

Would have been nice to have received more and closed the gap.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
JV axed by BMW!

One less moving chicane on the track - have fun in NASCAR Jaques!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Nick,

From what I've read on F1 Live (but it wasn't shown on TV), Micheal & Nick Heifeld had contact in a very late "racing incident", and Michael suffered suspension damage affecting his steering, thus causing his retirement...he definitely should have let Nick thru and settled for 4th place...at least he was gifted a point when Kubica was later DQ'd for being 2 kilos underweight.

Congrats to Jenson Button...well done lad!!!!

Now, why in god did Speedvision got to commercials with 4 laps to go?? That sucked!

David

·
Registered
91 Posts
deltahf2,

Why he didn't get fresh tires on his last stop is a mystery as well - seems like it was a day of poor decisions - first starting on full wets and then staying with worn tires. Anyway, a huge disappointment.
Michael pitted the same lap(lap 46) as Button, and neither of them swapped to dry tires(in fact I seem to remember, that at that point only Speed had tried dry tires, with less than perfect results..). By the time De la Rosa and Alonso came in (lap 51) the conditions had improved, and they took dry tires. Basically, because MS had to pit early for the front wing earlier in the race, he was forced in to a different kind of fuel strategy, which (by bad luck) didn´t give him a realistic chance to change to dry tires at his last scheduled pit stop. After that they took a risk, which didn´t pay off.. Button had the luxury of recovering from the same problem, as Alonso retired.

321 - 340 of 520 Posts