Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I was talking with a friend about gear oils, I was telling him about the Redline oil I use in the Alfa transmission.
He said he used to use Redline in his manual Miata's but someone got him to try this Ford oil and he said it made his cars smoother than ever. I said to him I know very little about gear oils but the concept sounds interesting.

Whats the gearologists thoughts' on this oil?

Obviously this particular bottle doesn't say anything about being 75w-90, but that weight does appear to be available in the brand.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
You need to compare transmission types. I believe (don't know) the Ford and Miata transmission are both dog gear type, while Alfa uses a Porsche type synchro. Ferrari used these in the past as well. The original Alfa transmission lube was Dentex, made by Shell oil, and was pure mineral oil. Redline offers several synthetic transmission and rear axle oils, but not all are ideal for Porsche type synchro use. Today there are many many synthetic lubricants designed for just as many different applications.
If you ask well known, successful Alfa transmission BUILDERS, and racers as well as street drivers, you will discover EVERYONE has a favorite and opinion. However, you are best advised by comparing lubricants used for similar type gear boxes or rear axle designs.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to compare transmission types. I believe (don't know) the Ford and Miata transmission are both dog gear type, while Alfa uses a Porsche type synchro. Ferrari used these in the past as well. The original Alfa transmission lube was Dentex, made by Shell oil, and was pure mineral oil. Redline offers several synthetic transmission and rear axle oils, but not all are ideal for Porsche type synchro use. Today there are many many synthetic lubricants designed for just as many different applications.
If you ask well known, successful Alfa transmission BUILDERS, and racers as well as street drivers, you will discover EVERYONE has a favorite and opinion. However, you are best advised by comparing lubricants used for similar type gear boxes or rear axle designs.
Thanks Gordon, that was what I was looking for. I knew there had to be something different because I hadn't seen that oil mentioned on the BB before, and I most certainly am not a gearologist. I just thought it would be an interesting question to ask.

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
Im not a gearologist either, but VALUE opinions of those that know, as well as what worked Ok in the past. New IS better with lubrication, but you need to know the specific application you need to lubricate.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Don't forget Ford owned Mazda for a while. There's probably something common between a Mazda and Ford gearbox. So you'll know what to use when you buy a Miata.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts