Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
If this site was hacked the way others were, the user IDs and passwords were taken. You should have been explicit in the notification that it was passwords that were stolen. So yes, we should change passwords here, but more importantly, we should change any passwords that match it.
Not true. The announcement was that password hashes (not passwords) were stolen. Read on this web page what hashes are -- and various degrees of security of the mechanisms that create and check them. As posted in this thread, I believe upgrading the security module (with stronger algorithms) forced a global password reset.

·
Registered
889 Posts
THANKS!

Forum,

Thank you for your concern and vigilance. It seems I am getting emails on a daily basis supposedly from known friends (their names are on them) bur spurious email addresses. Their email accounts have been hacked, and these hackers want me to access some site they have provided a link to. Very annoying. I never open the link, but I do notify the person, via the correct email address I have stored for them, that their account has been hacked. A strong password is the best defense, I think, against this type of tomfoolery.

Thanks to your efforts, I am going through all my accounts and forum memberships and updating my passwords. That's a small inconvenience with a big reward.

Some people will just gripe and complain about anything! I know, I live with one! Are all of you complainers old Italian women?

old Italian women.jpg

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Forum,

Thank you for your concern and vigilance. It seems I am getting emails on a daily basis supposedly from known friends (their names are on them) bur spurious email addresses. Their email accounts have been hacked, and these hackers want me to access some site they have provided a link to. Very annoying. I never open the link, but I do notify the person, via the correct email address I have stored for them, that their account has been hacked. A strong password is the best defense, I think, against this type of tomfoolery.

Thanks to your efforts, I am going through all my accounts and forum memberships and updating my passwords. That's a small inconvenience with a big reward.

Some people will just gripe and complain about anything! I know, I live with one! Are all of you complainers old Italian women?

View attachment 1066162

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
I think that says it all P.S. no bother for me just copy paste and tick the box simple

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Hey

You said "... I live with one! Are all of you complainers old Italian women?..."

Actually I'm looking for an old Italian woman. Got any leads?

Bye

·
Registered
889 Posts
Milanoguy,

Check out the second one from the right, Narfia Zorbo. She's not much to look at, but word is she can s**k-start a Ducati!

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
AlfaTad, formally known as tadslc, has decided that after 1/2 a dozen requests to the administrators with NO response to just register under a new name.

Problem is, tadslc was a Gold Subscriber and as such really don't feel like paying for this option again.

My question to the administrator is this- What can you do about this? PM me with your answer please

Tad

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
My registered email, is no longer accessible to me, even though it is active. So, Alfabb wrote me there and I cannot read it.

Worse I have written the Adm. and no reply.

So now, I am starting from scratch with a new name. What a pain...

If someone with the power, would do it, I would appreciate being merged back to my old name:

aguirola

Thank you.

Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me too!!!!! I had an old old old email address from 2005 can't remember it now my new password is in there added 22 to my old username and started again

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
That might have been my problem also, an old email address being the reason I never received my change of password email.

But the problem I have with this whole thing is the total lack of help from the administrators.

·
Administrator
962 Posts
Me too!!!!! I had an old old old email address from 2005 can't remember it now my new password is in there added 22 to my old username and started again
That might have been my problem also, an old email address being the reason I never received my change of password email.

But the problem I have with this whole thing is the total lack of help from the administrators.
PM sent to both of you.

We are updating inactive email address on member's original accounts, and merging them with the new accounts created. As mentioned earlier, we have teams working around the clock to get everyone back to their original accounts. If you have not received the email, or know someone that is having trouble, you can contact the admin here. We are working through all the requests as they come in.

Dayle

·
Registered
4 Posts
PM sent to both of you.

We are updating inactive email address on member's original accounts, and merging them with the new accounts created. As mentioned earlier, we have teams working around the clock to get everyone back to their original accounts. If you have not received the email, or know someone that is having trouble, you can contact the admin here. We are working through all the requests as they come in.

Dayle
Hi Dayle,

Like many I've been in the penalty box for over a month. I haven't been able to get a response because like many, my e-mail from 10 years ago via Comcast no longer exists. My user name on the BB is Chi Si Dici and I would like to have my "Chi Si Dici" profile activated. My e-mail has been on my profile signature for many many years. Please let me know how to get back on track...

Thanks,
Carmelo La Spina / Carm

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Look now I have 2 accounts ^^ and I was not even trying to make a new account. But both accounts thinks the same the forced password change sucks. Also this form has suffered after being sold.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Everything has been worked out on my end, just wish it hadn't taken so long.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Has anyone received an email from [email protected]

Notice of Data Breach

You may have heard reports recently about a security issue involving VerticalScope. We would like to make sure you have the facts about what happened, what information was involved, and the steps we are taking to help protect you. VerticalScope owns and operates a number of community websites. You are receiving this email because you are a registered user of the following community website(s) involved in the data breach:
Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
The site for Alfa Romeo Owners

What Happened?

On June 13, 2016, we became aware that February 2016 data stolen from VerticalScope was being made available online.

What Information Was Involved?

Community member usernames, email addresses, hashed passwords, community userIDS, community website, and the IP address the username originally registered with.

What We Are Doing

We have invalidated passwords of all VerticalScope user accounts. We have posted a site security notification on each site updating users on the potential risk to certain accounts, the password reset and steps we are implementing to improve security. We have implemented stronger password rules (passwords now require a minimum of 10+ characters and a mixture of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols) along with automated account password expiries to encourage more frequent password changes. We will remind our users to use good password practices (not using the same password for multiple online accounts and using unique strong passwords). We are in the process of implementing additional safeguards to detect, alert and mitigate any future brute force attempts, and have notified our third party vendors that interact with our various forum API's of the February breach to allow their own security teams to investigate. We are continuing our investigation and will be collecting information to provide to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.

VerticalScope is taking steps to strengthen account security. We were already using encrypted passwords and salted hashes to store passwords, and our new password controls are intended to further strengthen user security. We are taking steps to investigate and test new encryption and security technologies to further protect our users.

What You Can Do

To keep your account as safe as possible, we recommend that you regularly change your VerticalScope community password, and that you use a unique password for each of your online accounts. Using the same password for multiple online accounts significantly increases your chances of being compromised. Even though the passwords stolen in February were hashed, we recommend that if you were using (or are currently using) your VerticalScope community password across multiple online accounts, that you change your password for such other online accounts. We encourage you to regularly review your accounts and report any suspicious or unrecognized activity immediately.

For More Information

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Community Management team by email at [email protected] or on the website that you frequent. A support thread has been created on each website, and our support teams are on there to help you through the process and answer any questions you may have. A Notice of Data Breach is also available on community websites involved in the data breach.

This email was sent by VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 700, Toronto, ON, M5V2H1. If you have any questions regarding the communications you receive from us, please contact us.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I won't be returning to this crap. The forums have died off and now this ridiculous password crap to further detract from visiting [I only come back to check if you had come to your senses about it]. I changed my password, but apparently I must have screwed up and I can't log in because I just get incorrect password every time.

I wish you all the best but there is better places out there for me.

Thought I could post as a guest... Got it, finally.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts