Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really? Ten characters, upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters. Was there a problem with people's accounts being hacked and malicious questions being posted? Now I can't use my easy-to-remember medium security forum password. This forum now has the strongest password requirement of everything I log in to, including banking, stock trading, etc. What gives?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Now you can rest, nobody will use your password to access your bank account.

The other great thing is that you will be absolutely unable to remember it, then you will discover the top notch "password recovery" features we have. Next you will tick the "remember me" box and anybody from your household will be able to post in your name.

·
Push hard and live
8,923 Posts
My recollection of the warning email was that we should all change our passwords to conform to the new rules, so I did. I think it said they would force a new password for those of us who hadn't already complied. I complied. Got changed anyway.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wow 10 characters? That's rough. I use a password manager and long ridiculous passwords anyhow so it doesn't really effect me (I didn't even notice) but 10 characters is beyond most security compliance requirements. Speaking of which, I wonder if AutoGuide is PCI compliant? Probably not since they don't take credit cards. But PCI only calls for numbers and letters and 7 characters. I require 8 characters - numbers, letters and specials - and 6 month reset at my company. I guess the 10 characters is a bit offset by the 12 month reset period.....but now I'm rambling.

10 characters is a lot - what do they think they're protecting??

Everyone should check out LastPass - and if you use it make sure to sign up for multi-factor authentication. (I am in no way affiliated with LastPass, just a security pro who thinks it's a good product/service)

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I think users should think more of a pass phrase than a password, which makes remembering passwords on car sites easy, such as "IlikemyGTV6!" or "My#1Alfaisa2600Spider".

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
^^^^ That's generally bad advice. You wouldn't want your bank password to be LoveFirstNational. You want it unrelated. But yeah, for a car site that would be just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forced Password Change by AlfaBB

I have just been assigned a 15 character password.
OK I understand what you are looking for in a password; however, I would like to create my own password - something that I can remember. I am retired now, but I have been a software application designer & creator since the CP/M days (before the IBM PC came out) and I instructed my clients on how to make a password that would mean something to them, but others would have no clue to it. For example, suppose the person had six cars during their lifetime. A 1949 Ford 2dr Coupe, 1953 Studebaker 2dr Commander, 1957 Ford Convertible, 1958 Ford Retractable, 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible, and 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7. They could create a password as such: Ih6ca49F2dca53S2dCa57FCa58FRa66FMC&a68MCXR7, which would be too long for most websites, so we could cut it down to:
Iha49F53S57C58R66M&68C (22 characters) or:
I had 3 Fords, 1 Studebaker, 1 Mustang, and a Mercury Cougar XR7 Ih3F1S1M&1MCXR7 (15 characters, upper & lower case, numbers and an & sign) easy for the person to remember, but to the adverage person, it looks like gibberish.

·
Registered
465 Posts
A royal pain. Someone here needs to find a real job and leave our passwords alone. Think of the wasted energy being consumed in this process. Ridiculous. It seems the many are always working for the few because of their deficiencies.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
What a load

Well that was an unwelcome intrusion, into my daily AlfaBB vist.

Since you're making IT changes. Why don't you offer an un-hide password option.

This whole idea that someone is hiding behind you, perhaps with a telescope trying to steal your password, is ridiculous.

This is not 1980 with hundreds of college student logged in B&W terminals bolted to long tables with other students walking behind them, slyly stealing their Pong password.

Bah

·
Registered
75 Posts
FORCED P.W. tanks participation

Badddddddd idea.
This site is a recreational and commercial well oiled machine.
The yearly donations, I believe, will dwindle to all but the most avid users to the detriment of the majority. What may seem routine to the well meaning steering commitee will be especially hard on the aging population. (aka ... old dog new tricks)
Responsible parties have to simplify participation. IMHO
(participation being "activity beyond visitor browsing")

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The new password rule is as strong as DoD password rules. What are we protecting? By the way--DoD systems are being hacked daily. Passwords are to foil easy cracks not somebody that really wants in. Again--what do they want here? PIA

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yeah, I'm another old fart that's had it with password paranoia. Do I really care that some Romanian hacker might hijack my Alfa Bulletin Board account? Hasta la Vista.

Mike Hollinger

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I too an old fart am not fond of the password change however this board/forum is the best we got. It is important to realize with the civil structure we have today in the world companies that do business on the internet have to do their due diligence and for a company hosting an interactive forum like this, it will entail some security measures like the password change. it could be way worse.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts