Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Jannes, our NZ Ti was manufactured 8th Feb 1965 - and sold new in UK 22/6/1966 then taken to NZ probably by some returning NZer. At this time this would be typical for most Alfas. Your car being earlier than mine and NZ new would have been hugely expensive due to the tariffs favouring British, Australian and locally assembled vehicles. There was no official importer or dealership network then for Alfa Romeo and the car would have been seen as very exotic and exciting. NZ always got UK spec cars during this era.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Richard. Do you know of any other 1600 Ti's on NZ? I think I've seen one or two others in the AROCNZ booklet. I'll have to check when I get home later.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Angus McLeod`s twinspark converted car was a Ti but he has when restoring the shell given it another chassis number from a Super I believe as that part of the car was damaged. Giulias of any version were pretty rare here as whoever brought Alfas into NZ brought the more glamorous and easier to sell coupes. We also saw during the `80`s especially a scrapping of any version Berlina for coupe parts. The looks of the Giulia were pretty contentious and the details unappreciated for a long time by any but the true Alfisti. The times have changed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My 1600 TI (CKD South Africa ), was registered in March '63 and has always been floor shift. Would be interested to know what month yours was built ?
So I've had a look at our AROCNZ membership listing of 2018. There are only four 1600 Ti's listed: two from '65 and two from '64. So the only '63 in NZ may be the one I have that was only good as a donor car and has a later build date than yours.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Interesting. I knew that my March '63 one was one of the earliest in the UK, if not Europe, even though originally supplied as CKD to SA. If it was registered in SA in March '63, that means it was probably made in the factory as a floor shift in late '62

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
...If it was registered in SA in March '63, that means it was probably made in the factory as a floor shift in late '62
Yes, so maybe even one of the 171 '62 cars. If I remember correctly then your car doesn't have the usual chassis number stamped on the bulkhead but rather one of the frilly tags riveted in the same place? Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo then probably doesn't have any info on your car. I'm assuming it must have been assembled in East London, South Africa. Does your car still have the red tag riveted to the inside of the RH side fender close to the headlight? For our '66 East London assembled GTV Alfa could only tell me the production date and the market destination.

·
Registered
870 Posts
That's right, the chassis plate with the curly edges. Tried Centro Documentazione when I was considering buying it and they don't have any info on it.
Haven't seen any red tag you refer to but I'll check tomorrow. Presume you mean on the engine bay side of the inner wing ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes. You'd probably know if it was there. There may still be holes there where it was attached though. If your car was destined for Rhodesia at the time, it may not have had it. It will look something like this:
thumbnail_IMG_3228.jpg

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
In the context of the times quite a bit was exported to South Africa that wasn`t officially and thus had no official trace within the exporting company. South Africa had sanctions against it placed by the United Nations because of their Aparteid policy. Goods from SA were banned and the world was not supposed to supply South Africa. Rhodesia was used as a means of circumventing these bans.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Richard, I see your Ti is listed in the AROC booklet. There’s also a red ‘65 in Cambridge and another red ‘65 in Marton. Then there’s also a white ‘64 in Christchurch other than Angus’.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Jannes it would be Bruce Airns`s which is a race car and well used. I haven`t seen him at the Skope Classic Race Meeting for a couple of years now. Car is white with red powder coated wheels - at least it was when I saw it last.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yes. You'd probably know if it was there. There may still be holes there where it was attached though. If your car was destined for Rhodesia at the time, it may not have had it. It will look something like this:
View attachment 1629517
Just checked. No red tag plate, but the holes are there.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just checked. No red tag plate, but the holes are there.
There you go... not sure there could be a better explanation for those holes. The plate wouldn’t have given you much info though, apart from a production line number and confirming it was assembled in East London, South Africa. Only the cars assembled from ‘68 on (I think) in Rosslyn, Johannesburg, would have had the engine number stamped on the tag.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts