Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, here goes... My story starts, a story about rescuing Giulia from the claws of the Rust Monster, healing her wounds and fixing her wings so she can fly again.

Well, this is the way I see it anyways, because it's been a decision of the heart and not the head. The financial investment will be much more than what the car is worth currently but that's not what it's about.

Who is this beautiful Giulia you may ask?:
Alfa Romeo Giulia T.I. RHD (105.09)
Production date: 1964, October 16th
Delivery date: 1964, November 19th
Market destination: Manurewa (New Zealand)
Exterior color: Bluette
Interior: Skai rosso

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Blasted2

Some more after killing the Rust Monster. The right rear fender has had a nasty knock and has bad rust damage. She will also need new floor boards and outer and middle sills of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Being sold new in New Zealand at that time means it`s a rare beast as the importers tended to concentrate on the more profitable ( and saleable) coupes. The buyer would probably have special ordered the car and it would have been relatively dear compared to what else he could buy in the sports/luxury segment. British and Australian cars were easier to get and favoured tariff wise.
Our own car follows the more normal means of bringing in an unusual foreign car to NZ in that it was delivered to UK and then brought back on tourist delivery.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being sold new in New Zealand at that time means it`s a rare beast as the importers tended to concentrate on the more profitable ( and saleable) coupes. The buyer would probably have special ordered the car and it would have been relatively dear compared to what else he could buy in the sports/luxury segment. British and Australian cars were easier to get and favoured tariff wise...
I was indeed pleasantly surprised to find out that both of these cars were sold new in NZ.

I'll hopefully be able to give an update soon on the restoration plans going forward. At this point we are not even sure yet which car's body will be the best to use as a base. So far it seems that the 'parts car' ('63 model year) has much better floors, doors and boot floor. It also still has the original engine of which the condition is yet unknown, but hopefully salvageable. The first car's engine block ('64 model year) is damaged by a thrown conrod and will not be economical to repair.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The '63 Ti

In the meantime, here are some more details on the '63 Ti (sent by Marco Fazio some time ago):

Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti RHD (105.09)
Production date: 21 October 1963
Delivery date: 9 November 1963
Market destination: Auckland (New Zealand)
Exterior colour: Acqua di fonte (the blue that can currently be seen is much darker though, so may have had a repaint)
Interior colour: Skai Rosso (not stated with rest of info above, but looks like red vinyl currently)

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sacrifice

Sadly, we've had to sacrifice the one car and it has now become purely a parts car. We'll be using its right rear fender, 3 of the floor boards and the b-pillar on the other car. Hopefully other parts from this car could also help someone else in restoring their car.

The body shell will be braced and then taken off to storage. We may still need some mechanical parts from it later. The panels we've removed will be sent off for blasting and primer next.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't believe it's been 12 months since I last posted on this thread. Well, after some disciplined savings for a year we could get the project going again, only for it now to be interrupted again by The Virus.
At least I can post a few photos of the amazing work done on the floor boards so far. Left side is finished and right side almost ready to go back in.
DSCF6821.jpg
DSCF6822.jpg
DSCF6823.jpg
DSCF6824.jpg

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Good things take time Jannes. This virus stuffs things up a bit but life goes on and work will be resumed eventually. I didn`t realise both those cars were older than ours.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the '63 car (726943) may well have been one of the earliest RHD cars with a floor shift? I'm not sure when the move from column shift to floor shift happened.
Also interesting to note that the left rear floor pans of the early cars look different from the that of the later cars. As yet there doesn't appear to be anyone who reproduces the older floor pans.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I suppose there was evolution within the design after all the design of the Giulia was a completely new one and probably did not have the extensive R & D that current automotive products get. There was no doubt areas that required "adjustment" once the vehicles were in actual use plus maybe alterations required to better meet the structural needs of spiders and coupes and the logistics of producing them. No CAD modelling first in those days.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yes, the '63 car (726943) may well have been one of the earliest RHD cars with a floor shift? I'm not sure when the move from column shift to floor shift happened.
Also interesting to note that the left rear floor pans of the early cars look different from the that of the later cars. As yet there doesn't appear to be anyone who reproduces the older floor pans.
My 1600 TI (CKD South Africa ), was registered in March '63 and has always been floor shift. Would be interested to know what month yours was built ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi GTA R

Mine was built October 1963 and delivered to NZ in November '63. Yours could well be one of the very first 105.09 floor shift cars! I see that Fusi says there were only 171 built in '62. I'm assuming they were all column shift. 1950 built in '63. Not sure when they changed to floor shift. I think there are 1 or 2 other 1600 Ti's in NZ. I'll try to find out what they're built dates are.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
From what I have read when they produced the rhd version they recognised that particular market would demand floor change. Even in the home market although column change was an option until quite late after introduction most buyers preferred floor gear change.The times were changing for what was seen as now a "sporting" car. The fashion and demand for column change in the market however lasted longer than younger people think mainly for family orientated buyers wanting another space in the front seat. Our Lancia Fulvia 2C , a competitor to the Giulia also had column change.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts